Word to the Wise

Trisha led me over to the bar, where she ordered two expensive bourbons before turning to address me, "I haven't seen you on the circuit before."

"I just got here," I said, thinking quickly. Trisha looked me up and down before shrugging in acceptance. 

"Word to the wise," She said after a moment of awkward silence, "Things are a lot easier when you don't mouth off." 

I gave her a curious look. Mouth off? What the hell was she talking about?

"Trust me," Trisha sighed, "I tried mouthing off to the guy I was with before Fred and it didn't end well. I went from going on dates with bankers and politicians to dates with junkies and old men with bad breath and dandruff. It's better if you just keep your mouth shut."

I never wanted to hug someone so bad, but I had to stay in character, "I'll keep that in mind."

Trisha just sniffed and handed me a tumbler with bourbon before leading the way back to the room. Alastor had a grin plastered all over his face as he was listening to Fred talk. As soon as he saw me, he stood up and stiffly said, "Thank you for the help, Fred. I'll drop her off at your place tomorrow at eight."

Alastor led me out of the club, bourbon left forgotten on a table back in the private room. To anyone around us, he appeared calm and collected, but his grip on my arm said otherwise. 

As soon as we got to the car, he said between clenched teeth, "That man deserves to be ripped limb from limb in the worst way possible."