Chapter 4

Rick turned onto a dirt road and I could see a fence. I looked around and was amazed at the field that stretched as far as the eye could see.

"You guys cleared this place?" I asked.

"It was overrun when we found it. But we came together and cleared it," Rick said.

"You got yourselves a gold mine," I said.

"That's what I saw too," he said.

We then came to a stop and I looked forward. Another fence was being opened and I quickly stepped out of the car.

"Kari, hold on," Rick said but I ignored him and closed the door.

"Carol?" I said with a smile.

She came up to me and gave me a hug.

I embraced her tightly.

"I couldn't believe it when Andrea said you were alive. Mainly because we were all still in shock to find out that she was alive as well. Oh, honey. It's so good to see you," she said.

We parted and she looked at me. She patted me on the cheek and then Carl was next to her.

"Kari!" he shouted.

"Carl? Is that really you? You've gotten taller since the last time I saw you," I said.

"I've gotten older too," he said.

I chuckled and gave him a hug too.

"Kari. Everyone is waiting to meet you," Rick said, stepping out of the car.

I looked toward the prison and could see a small group of people just outside of it. I released a shaky breath. Without another word, I started running towards my family. I could hear the others calling me to come back but it had been too long. Maggie came and opened another fence then ran toward me. We met each other half way and nearly knocked each other down. I hadn't realized I was crying the entire time.

"I thought I was never gonna see you again," she said in between breaths.

"You're telling me," I said.

I parted and looked at her again. I wiped away her tears and hugged her once again.

"Come on," she said after we'd parted again.

She took my hand and the both of us jogged the rest of the way. When I caught sight of Hershel, I stopped dead in my tracks. Using his crutches, he closed the gap between us.

"Close to nine months without you and you won't even come up to hug me?" he asked when he got to me.

I shook my head and hugged him as tight as I could.

"Oh, sweetheart. We all missed you," he said into my hair.

I parted to look at him.

"I missed you guys too. More than you know. But Hershel, what the hell happened?" I asked looking at his right leg.

"Um, I'm here too, you know," Beth came over and said.

I looked at her.

"I'm sorry, sweetie. Come here," I said wrapping my arms around her.

"We all believed that you were still alive. Somewhere," she said when we parted.

"And I believed the same about the three of you," I said.

I placed my hand on her cheek and pulled her in for another hug. I kissed the top of her forehead. I turned back to Hershel.

"I really need to know what happened," I said.