Chapter 21

When we got there, Beth was in the middle of having reading time with the kids.

"Sorry," I mouthed.

She smiled then went back to reading. Maggie was at a table in the back taking notes. Daryl and I sat with her.

"You're taking notes on reading time?" I asked.

She smiled.

"No. I'm just keeping log of what we have and what we're running low on," she said.

"Is it a lot?" Daryl asked, taking the piece of paper from her.

"No. We have enough for a few weeks. But we will eventually have to make a run soon," she said.

"I volunteer when the time comes around," I said.

"Me too," Daryl said.

"You two are always willing to go out. You sure it isn't to be alone together?" she asked.

I inhaled and then started coughing. The kids and Beth looked my way.

"You alright, Kari?" Beth asked.

I coughed a few more times and cleared my throat.

"I'm fine. As you were," I said.

Maggie was laughing silently. I punched her on the arm. Daryl just looked between the two of us.

"Y'all are so childish," he muttered.

Maggie looked over at him.

"That wasn't a no," she said with a smile.

"Maggie. Shut up. We didn't come here to talk about whatever you think is going on. Have you seen Rick by any chance?" I asked.

She then got serious.

"No. Why? Is something wrong?" she asked.

"No. Not yet anyway. I wanted to talk to him, well actually the whole council about taking measures to thin out the group of walkers out by the north end of the fence," I said.

She nodded.

"Yeah. I've noticed there's been a lot of them as of lately. Wait here. Beth should be almost done with the kids. I'll gather everyone and meet you back here," she said, getting up.

"Thanks," I said.

"Don't do anything that the kids shouldn't see," she teased.

"Get the hell out of here," I said, pushing her away.

I looked back at Daryl.

"Sorry about that," I said.

"Nah. Don't be," he said.

"So, if we have to go on a run, where would we look?" I asked, wanting to get away from the awkwardness that I was currently feeling.

"A couple weeks back, there was a Big Spot that seemed like a good place to start," he said.

"That was the run you went on with Sasha and Glenn, right?" I asked.

"Yeah. We spotted it on the way back. Looked like no one had raided it yet," he said.

"Alright. Then that's where we'll start," I said.

Beth had finished the book she was reading to the kids and had them all disperse. She came up to us and took a seat.

"So, what's up?" she asked.

"We're gonna have a council meeting about how to thin out the walkers by the fence," I said.