Chapter 30

Epilogue

Four years later...

"Kari. Can you take can you take Otis?" Maggie asked once I had finished washing the last of the dishes.

"Sure. Your turn in the garden, huh?" I asked.

"Yeah. There's a few things I want to plant as well so I'd better get started on it," she said.

She handed me Otis and I gently bounced him up and down and watched as Maggie headed for the field.

"So what do you say we check on your daddy while your mom gets to work, huh?" I asked. He just giggled. "I'll take that as a yes," I said.

The break in the prison had finally coming together. We had all pitched in to close it back up again. Been keeping a close eye on it making sure it didn't collapse again. The past few weeks we had been experiencing heavy rain which made a small crack in the far right corner. Glenn and some others had been working to get it fixed since the rain stopped. He had been there long enough. It was time for a break.

"Hey, look Otis. Its daddy," I said once I got to him.

He turned around and smiled. He came over and took Otis from me.

"There's my little man," he said.

Kissing him on the forehead, he held him close.

"How long have you been at it?" I asked.

"Not long," he said.

I crossed my arms.

"Right. Alright. It's time for you to take a break," I said.

"Kari, I appreciate you bringing him but I can keep on going," he said.

"It's not up for discussion. And don't you dare try to argue with me. You'll never win," I said.

He sighed.

"Where's Maggie?" he asked.

"In the garden," I said.

"I'll see you later then," he said, rolling his eyes.

Carl, Rick, Tyreese, Sasha and Beth were hard at work.

"You guys look like you could use a break too," I said.

"We're good. The next team should be coming in shortly," Rick said.

"How's it going?" I asked.

"It's coming along. That cement that we found at that truck shop is really helping," Beth said.

"Can I do anything?" I asked.

"Not a chance," Sasha said.

"Oh come on. I can mix the cement while you guys take it easy for a bit," I said.

"Not a chance in hell," Beth retorted.

"Beth," I said.

"Daryl would never forgive us for letting you lift a finger. And I don't want to be on his bad side," Rick said.

I sighed.

"You guys just need to learn to put your foot down," I said.

"Well that's what you're for," Carl said.

There was a small shot of pain. I groaned and placed my hand on my stomach.

"You alright, Kari?" Tyreese asked.

"Yeah. I'm still not used to the kicks yet," I said.

"You should go and see daddy. Just to make sure everything is okay," Beth suggested.