Chapter 13

"So what do we do then?" I asked, leaning against the building closest to us.

"We can't leave him outside like this. He has a son for crying out loud," Rick said.

"Why the hell not? He tried to kill us," Daryl said.

"He saved my life. If it wasn't for him, I would have never found Carl and Lori," Rick said a little aggressively.

"Okay. Hey, Rick," I said.

He turned to look at me.

"Okay. We can get him inside," I said.

He nodded. I looked to the doorway that was next to me. There was a plastic cover over it.

"You think this is where he's holed up?" I asked.

Rick looked around it.

"Yeah. I'm pretty sure it is," he said.

"Alright then, let's go," I said.

"Hold up," Daryl said, moving me back.

He kneeled down and moved a welcome mat out of the way to reveal a trap that consisted of multiple knives.

"Shit," I said.

"Kari stay out here with Carl for a bit. We're gonna see what it's like inside," Rick said.

"Okay," I said.

Daryl and Rick then picked the man up off the ground and took him inside. After a few minutes Rick called to us.

"Come on, Carl," I said.

I let him go in front of me.

"Watch out for the string on the top of the stairs!" Rick said.

Carl stepped over it and so did I. It was rigged for an axe to fall.

"Holy shit," I said.

"I know," Rick said.

The room we ended up in was stocked with heavy artillery. It was just what we needed to take out the Governor. I went over and placed a backpack that was on the floor, upright and started to pack away the bullets first.

"Stop," Rick said.

I looked over at him. He was looking at a wall and that's when I noticed that on all of them, there was writing scribbled all over.

"What is it?" I asked.

"We're gonna wait for him to wake up," Rick said.

"Man, we ain't got time for this," Daryl said.

"We are gonna wait for him to wake up. I'm gonna make sure that he's okay," he said.

Daryl sighed.

"Rick, he wasn't the same person you knew," I said.

"You saying he's crazy?" Rick asked.

"I'm saying he's dangerous. What happens when he wakes up and tries to kill us again?" I asked.

"That won't happen," he said.

"And you're sure about that?" I asked.

"No. But if you want you all can wait outside," he said.

He then looked toward Carl who had been staring at the same wall since we got here.

"What is it?" Rick asked.

"Our old neighborhood...it's gone," Carl said.

"Is that why you wanted to come?" Rick asked.

"I just...I just wanted to come," he said.