Chapter 26

The walkers had all gathered in one spot which made the fence tilt.

"Dammit," I said.

"The noise drew them out and now this part's starting to give," Maggie said.

I had taken a crowbar off the fence near the entrance and began to take out as many of the dead as I could. We all got so caught up in taking out as many dead as we could that Maggie ended up slipping on some gravel and fell on the ground. Glenn was about to help her up but I stopped him.

"She hasn't been exposed to it," I said.

"She's right. We have to stay away from each other," she said, getting back up.

We all continued but it seemed like it was getting worse.

"Hold up. Guys...are you seeing this?" Sasha asked.

We all went over to where she was standing. How could we have missed this? Near the fence were a small trail of dead rats.

"Is someone feeding these things?" she asked.

I looked at every single person that was around me and we all had no idea what to make of this.

"Heads up!" Daryl shouted.

"This part of the fence, now!" Sasha shouted.

The walkers had managed pile on top of each other, making the middle of the fence cave even more than it already was. We all worked together to push against it, not leaving our hands in one place.

"Alright. Nah, everybody, back up. Now!" Daryl ordered.

We all did and just watched as the fence kept on bending further.

"We have to do something. We can't let these walkers get in," I said.

"Daryl...get the truck. I know what to do," Rick said.

Daryl placed his crossbow over his shoulder and made his way to the cars. A few minutes later, Rick went and joined him.

"Maggie, can you finish placing the bodies in the graves?" I asked.

"Yeah. You guys good here?" she asked.

"We got it," I said.

"I'll help her," Glenn said.

"Keep your distance and wear a mask. Yeah?" I said.

"You got it, boss," he said.

"Yeah. I don't like the sound of that," I said.

"We'll see you back there," he said.

I nodded. I looked back at where Sasha had mentioned the rats.

"Who...who on earth would want to feed these things?" I asked.

"I have no idea. But we'll have to find them and know why," she said.

"Yeah. I can't think of anyone who would though. Can you?" I asked.

"No one comes to mind," she said.

There was then then sound of pig squeals going on in the distance. I looked over and saw Rick Leaving the piglets that we had. I sighed. We were gonna have to hunt for some food in the coming weeks. That deer that Daryl got for us wouldn't last long. The walkers started moving away from the fence and eventually, all their attention was on the piglets.

"Alright, let's get this fence from bending any further," Sasha said.

"Yeah," I said.

We both pushed against it in order to put it back to where it once was. That was a lot harder than I looked but we did the best we could. We then picked up logs that were more than likely brought out before all this happened and placed them against it.