Chapter 16

Taking out our flashlights as we went further down the hall Carl had mentioned, we were fully alert for any of the dead that may not have been cleared. I took the lead with everyone else following close behind me. None of us made a single peep in order to hear any walkers or anyone else that may have made their way over here. As we got further into the hallway, I could hear the faint sound of some walkers both shuffling their feet and their groans. I held my fist up to stop the group.

"Walkers up ahead," I whispered.

I pulled out my knife and heard some knives leave their sheaths as we kept walking. We were about to turn a corner when I quickly caught sight of a group of them. I turned off my flashlight and backed up against the wall.

"How many are there?" Daryl asked.

"I couldn't tell but there was a group," I said.

"Well if this is the only way through, we gotta clear it," Andrea said.

"I know," I said.

I took in some deep breaths.

"Keep them as far away from you," I said.

I turned the flashlight back on and led the way. Driving our knives into the skulls of the walkers we came across, was all that could be heard. Thud after thud, the bodies collapsed until there wasn't any more left.

"I think we got them all," I said.

Looking forward and then looking back, I was relieved to see that we had cleared this place.

"Let's keep moving," I said.

After turning a few more corners, we found the break Tyreese and his crew had come across.

"Alright, if we walk along that way, we'll be able to reach the front of the place," Daryl said.

"We ain't got much time. He may have already made his way in," Merle said, sounding confident.

"Well then, guess we better start running," I said.

I took off before anyone could say anything else. After a few minutes, I had reached the front of the prison and looked for him. He had brought about ten men to back him up. If we took them out from here, he wouldn't have the upper hand anymore. I held up my rifle and looked through the scope. It was too far to have the others fire from here. We'd have to move closer. I wasn't even sure if the rest of the group had caught up to me before I took matters into my own hands. There was a break in the fence that I crawled through and moved closer. I hid behind the tower that was right in front of me.

"Kari!" I heard a harsh whisper.

I looked toward the fence to see Daryl glaring at me.

"Well come over then," I retorted.

He along with the rest of the group crawled through the break in the fence and came up to me.

"What the hell? You didn't wait for us," Daryl said, sounding pissed.

"I'm sorry I saw an opportunity and took it," I said, matching his tone.

"We ain't got time for your romance novel. What's the plan?" Merle asked.

"Oh shut up," Daryl and I said simultaneously.

"Enough. What's the plan?" Rick asked.

I looked over at him and nodded.

"He brought about ten men with him," I said.

"So we take them out before they have time to notice?" Michonne said.