Chapter 10

Daryl made sure I got back to my cell okay. He then went out to sit on his little perch. It wasn't hard to see that he was uncomfortable being in a cell. There were a few times where to me, it felt like a cage. I'm sure that's how he felt too. After a few minutes, I felt a little better since Daryl had talked me out of going to Woodbury. But he still didn't change the fact that I wanted revenge. I would just have to think of a smarter way to get it. I couldn't go back to sleep. I wasn't sure of what time it was but eventually dawn came. I decided to get up and head back out. Daryl was snoring slightly when I reached him. Just as I was about to take a step down, I heard him shift.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"Out," I said.

"Any specifics?" he asked.

I turned to look at him.

"I couldn't get back to sleep so, I just want to be outside for a bit. Don't worry. I'll come back. I promise," I said.

"Alright then," he said, settling back into his place.

I continued down the steps until I reached the bottom. I turned and looked up at Daryl. I couldn't tell if he was sleeping or if he was just pretending to be. Either way I had to find something out.

"Daryl?" I said softly.

He stirred around a bit but he didn't say anything.

"Daryl?" I said again.

He sat up and looked over at me looking annoyed.

"What?" he asked.

I made my way back up the stairs slowly and took a seat across from him. He groaned and then turned back around to get back to sleep.

"What would you do if I didn't come back?" I asked.

He turned back around with an eyebrow raised.

"It's just a question. Don't freak out or anything," I said, trying my best to keep from bursting into laughter.

He sat up.

"Get a group to see where the hell it was that you ran off to," he said.

"Why?" I asked.

He sighed heavily.

"You're family," he said.

I smiled.

"Is that what I am? Really?" I asked.

"The hell you making a big deal about it for?" he retorted.

"I was just curious. Geez," I said.

"Well now you know. Now can I please get some more sleep?" he asked.

I stood up.

"Sure. I'll see you later, Dixon," I said.

He groaned out a response before he had turned back around. I smiled the whole way down the stairs.

I went out the cellblock and toward the door that led out and welcomed the fresh air. I walked down the stairs and out to the courtyard. Axel's body had been moved from the place it had fallen. It was a shame that I wasn't able to get to know him better. Everyone had said that he was a good guy. I then looked over at the field. The walkers roamed, scattered all throughout. I suddenly had the urge to take them out. It was my fault that they found us. I couldn't see any other reason behind it. I looked to my left and caught sight of a shovel that had been placed against that wall. I went over and picked it up. I had to try to get rid of them. My grip on the handle got tighter and my mind was made up. I went over and opened the gate and headed to the field.