Chapter 23

Once inside, we each grabbed a grocery cart and started to look for what we could find.

"Should I be giving you shit for teasing the kid, now?" I asked Daryl as we went down one of the aisles together.

"It ain't the same thing," he said.

"Like hell it isn't," I said.

"I wasn't mean about it," he said.

You stopped. He was right.

"Fine. You win this time," I said.

We turned a corner and ran into Glenn who had a packaged camera in his hands.

"Ooh. Yes take one. Is there another?" I asked going over next to him.

I picked another one off of the shelf and then started to look for a scrap book.

"Why?" Glenn asked.

"I've been wanting to start a scrapbook. For Judith and for us, you know. She's getting older and I want her to look back one day and see how we were. Together. Oh, score," I said when I found a book.

I grabbed what I needed and placed it into the cart. Both Daryl and Glenn looked at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing, it's just. I never would have even thought of something like that," Glenn said.

"We can breathe a little bit more. You know that don't you?" I asked.

"We let our guard down...that's dangerous," Daryl said.

"I didn't say we'd let our guard down. We shouldn't be afraid to live. We've gone through so much already and things are finally starting to look good. We deserve to have a good day every once in a while, you know," I said.

I patted Daryl on the shoulder.

"Lighten up. Just a little," I said.

I pushed the cart down another aisle and started to search for the essentials.

A few medical supplies, some canned food and more water. My haul was looking good. I placed my cart at the front of the store and started placing everything in my backpack. I slung it over my shoulders and was about to head back to check on the others when I heard a loud crash. Taking out my gun, I ran over to the direction the sound had come from.

"Everyone okay?" I asked when I got there.

Daryl, Glenn, Tyreese and Zack were the ones nearby.

"Yeah. The shelf fell on Bob," Zack said.

I put my gun away and looked over to my right.

"You okay, Bob?" I asked kneeling down near the shelf.

"Yeah. But my foot is caught," he said.

"We'll get you out of there, don't worry," Tyreese said.

"If anyone needs to know, we're over by beer and wine!" Zack announced.

I went over on the other side to see what his foot was caught on.

"Looks like he caught it in between a box and the shelf. We gotta get this thing up. Bob, try to move your foot around to make space," I said.

"Okay," he said.

I went back to the rest and got ready to help move it when there was a creaking sound. I looked up and noticed a gap in the ceiling. Daryl was standing right under it.

"Daryl! Move!" I shouted.

I went over, grabbed his hand and moved him away just in time. A walker fell through the roof and its guts ended up getting caught on a loose steel bar. The next thing we knew walkers began coming down all around us.