Chapter 7

After our talk, I had gone to find a place to sleep for the night. When I had, I passed out immediately.

The incident kept playing in my mind over and over again until it eventually made me spring up, covered in sweat. I quickly looked around and relaxed once I had remembered where I was. I sat up and placed my head between my knees and took in deep breaths.

"It was just a dream," I said softly.

The night had come and gone quicker than I had thought.

"Kari," Beth said.

The abrupt sound of her voice made me jump.

"Crap, Beth. You scared me," I said placing my hand over my heart.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean too," she said.

She came in and took a seat next to me with Judith in her arms.

"Did she just wake up?" I asked.

"Yeah. She has a routine. Since she's been born, I've noticed it and so I get up around the same time she does. You know, to make sure she gets something to eat on time. Otherwise, she'll get fussy," she said.

"I'm glad she has you. You were always great with kids. But I don't want you getting any ideas. You're still a kid," I said.

She rolled her eyes at me.

"After losing Lori...the way we lost her...I hope I never find someone," she said.

"Well now, some things you can't help. You can't always ignore your heart," I said.

"Isn't that what you did? When Daryl left?" she asked.

"Beth, that was different," I said.

"How? You love him don't you?" she said.

"Whoa. Where did you get that idea from?" I asked a bit in shock at the turn this conversation had taken.

"Kari, you can't be serious. Ever since Rick and the others arrived at the farm, your eyes have never left Daryl. You made it so obvious," she retorted.

"I did not," I said defensively.

"You did which is why I can't understand why you let him go with his brother. From what the others have said, he doesn't sound like a good guy," she said.

"Merle is his brother. Regardless of anything, that's what Daryl will always see. Family is family. I was not gonna deprive him of that. Besides, we still don't know each other all that well," I said, suddenly starting to think of him.

Wherever he was, I hoped he was okay.

"Kari?" Beth said.

I shook my head and looked at her.

"What?" I asked.

"You were thinking about him weren't you?" she asked.

"I was not," I said unconvincingly.

"You shouldn't have let him go. The group isn't whole without him. Even if he's a real grump most of the time," she said.

"He really can be a grump a lot of the time, huh?" I said.

"I know what you're gonna say, 'that's what you love about him' right?" she teased.

"Will you get off that? I don't love him. I've never been in love so I wouldn't even know what that feels like. Wait, why do I keep talking about this? Subject change, has Rick come back inside yet?" I said.

"Maybe Daryl would come back if you went out to look for him," she said.

"Beth!" I shouted.

"Sorry. And no he hasn't. Daddy went out a few minutes ago to see if he could convince him to come in and talk to us," she said.