Chapter 24

As soon as we got inside, I went straight up to my cell and curled up on my bed. I was so stupid. I had gotten comfortable. Comfortable because it had been so long since we lost anyone. Since anything bad happened to us. After the Governor, I was able to breathe again for the first time since I ran into the asshole. Maybe that was a mistake. Maybe letting my guard down wasn't the way to go. It's not like we're untouchable or anything. I had started to cry when Daryl came in. I wiped my eyes and sat up.

"How'd she take it?" I asked, sniffling.

"She took it okay," he said.

I sighed.

"She's putting up a front," I said.

"She said she's done crying. That she's glad she didn't say goodbye when he left," he said.

I ran a hand down my face.

"I was stupid," I said.

"It's always a risk when we go out there," he said.

"I know but lately, I haven't been thinking about that. I've let my guard down. The governor is dead and I had the mentality that nothing bad could ever happen to us again. It had been so long since we lost anyone. I had forgotten what that felt like. We can never live comfortably. And I was stupid to think we could," I said.

I took in deep breaths to keep from breaking down in front of him. Without warning, he pulled me in a tight embrace.

"It ain't stupid to want that," he said softly.

I leaned back and looked at him. I placed my hand on his cheek and pulled him closer. He hesitated for a bit but eventually leaned in as well. Our lips met and for a moment, I forgot everything. We parted and we pressed our foreheads together.

"That's been a long time comin'," he said.

I smiled.

"Now everyone can get the hell off our backs about it," I said.

We stayed there, foreheads pressed for a bit. I leaned back to look at him after a while.

"Will you stay with me? I don't wanna be alone. Not tonight," I said.

"You got it," he said.

I laid down on the bottom bunk and he scooted in next to me. I rested my head on his arm and looked at him.

"You make me feel safe," I said.

"I'll do whatever it takes to make sure you always feel like that," he said, looking over at me.

I snuggled closer to him and closed my eyes.

The next day I awoke to the sound of Daryl's light snoring. I then quickly realized that my head was still rested on his arm. As quietly as I could, I sat up and rubbed the back of my neck. I stood up and stretched before I turned to head out.

"Where are you off to?" he asked.

I heard him stir around for a bit. I turned to look at him and smiled.

"You really are a light sleeper aren't you?" I asked.

I went over to sit down next to him.

"You didn't answer my question," he retorted.

He rested his arm over his head and just looked at me.

"I was just gonna go and stretch my legs. I think it's cute that you're so worried," I said with a smile.

He bit down on his bottom lip.

"What's on your mind?" I asked.

"Nothin'," he said.