Chapter 27

"Let me in," he said.

I shook my head. He hand a plate of food in his hands and he put it down.

"Let me in," he said again.

"Daryl," I began.

"Kari. Open it," he said.

"I won't...I won't have you catching this," I said.

"I ain't gonna ask you again," he said.

"And I ain't letting you in," I retorted.

I turned away and started to cough.

"Let me in..." he begged.

I slowly took a seat on the cold hard floor and looked over at him.

"Go and tell the others," I said.

"Tell 'em what?" he asked.

"It's spreading," I said.

I turned away and started coughing again.

"Daryl please. They need to know," I said.

"Fine. I'll be right back," he said.

"I'm not going anywhere," I said.

"Try and eat something," he said, sliding the plate underneath the bars.

He left and I looked over at the plate. I reached over and grabbed the cup of water that was there. As much as it hurt going down, I managed to drink the whole thing. I then went ahead and took an apple slice and started to eat it slowly. After two of them, it was getting harder to keep it down. I pushed the plate away and hugged my knees to myself. I was starting the feel weaker by the minute. Damn, this thing moved fast.

"Kari," a voice said.

I looked over and saw Dr. S kneeling down in front of me.

"Hey, doc," I said.

"Let's get you up. We're moving everyone in this block to 'A'," he said.

I coughed a few more times then grabbed the bars and picked myself back up.

"Death row. That's comforting," I said.

I grabbed the mask that I had worn when burying our dead and put it on. I opened the cell door and saw Daryl as soon as I walked out.

"You shouldn't be so close to me," I said.

"I ain't going anywhere," he said.

I started to feel a little light headed. I grabbed the railing next to me and held on to it.

"What is it that you're feeling?" Dr. S asked.

"Light headed...my throat feels like it's on fire and this cough isn't helping at all," I said.

"We gotta get her to 'A' and fast," he said.

"I got her," Daryl said.

Without warning, the floor was taken out from under me. Daryl lifted me in his arms and proceeded to carry me downstairs.

"Daryl...I didn't want you this close to me," I whined.

"Well that's just too damn bad, now is it," he said.

I accepted what was and rested my head against his chest.

"This takes me back," I said softly.

"To the farm?" he asked.

I nodded.

"I was shot and you carried me in our arms. And now, I'm sick and you're carrying me in your arms once more. If it took me being hurt to get you to carry me, I would have done it so much sooner," I said.