27. The Past

JAKE

Seeing David in swollen eyes ,busted bleeding lips ,I almost run to him and unchain him then strangle Arthur. But I need to calm myself ,I'm barely holding onto it because of James Grant presence.
I'm no doubt on edge but being irrational now will only shorten our lives.
So I maintain my poker face.

"Nice to meet you again best friend. It's been what, 35 years? But,how unpleasant to see you in a very comfortable position." sarcasm and the strained hatred visible on Arthurs' voice.

" And how pleasing to see you again still full of hatred and bitterness. Can't man up and swallow your defeat." David taunt him.

Arthurs' face darken ,stepping dangerous steps forward to David.
My heart keeps thumping rapidly. But Davids' posture still unfazed.

I didn't really know what caused Arthur to loathe David too much.

Arthur yank David to him by his collar.
"You bastard!" he hiss. "You call yourself best friend but you fucked Veronica behind my back! I trusted you so much with her but you seduced and knocked her up! You know how much I love her that I changed for her but you never considered my feelings! Ungrateful asshole! When you have nothing, I never think twice to give but what did I received? Betrayal! So you have no right to kick my feelings towards you away!" Arthur is shaking from anger and punch David on the jaw.

I summon all restrain I got. My fist want to punch Arthur over and over again. My bit my lower lip to stop myself from screaming when Arthur punch David again and again.

When David spit a mouthful of blood ,that's when Arthur stop.

But David is really provoking Arthur ,he laugh like he just see something funny.

"W-who wanted a man ,who always used his fist in every argument? You said you loved her but why did she always cry with she's with you?! Don't you blame me when Veronica already lost her love for you the moment you almost killed her with your fist! Yes ,you did try to change but it was all too late! She already hated you when you left her to rehab! She already broke up with you!His many times did I stopped you? Warn you that she will hate you if you keep beating her? Yes ,I knew what I did was wrong, having feelings for her, when she was still vulnerable. But she deserve more, more than to be your personal punching bag!" David furiously yell at him.
"You never loved her. You we're sick on the head and you want to be on top. To see her plead and cry ,you loved that she always get back to you after all you did. You loved that you have more power over her. You loved to see her broken and shattered. You loved the feeling of being superior to her. You loved to see her crawl! You lo-"

"Stop!! I loved her! I loved her too much! I won't let her hate me!" Arthur is being disoriented.

This is the first time I see him so uncompose.

"That's why I took her daughter, Emilia. She was the only person who make me sane the past years. She really looked like her mother. I loved her too,but she got away! She left me just like Veronica! If that bitch daughter of yours never asked for a present that day ,Veronica would have been alive. She wouldn't die on a freak accident! That child took my Veronica away from me, just like what you did to her. You took Veronica away from me ,so I did took your happiness too " he laugh hysterically.

David take a sharp breath. He tried to wiggle his hands from the chain.
James on the other hand,go wide eyes. I saw how his face mirrored the pain on Davids'.

What?

"How dare you! Where is she?! Where is my Emilia! I swear if you ever laid a finger on her, I'll kill you!" David is shaking himself from his restrain that his wrist is now bleeding.