Nightmare Wedding -- Nightmare King Grimm

"Y/N! Are you ready to meet the Nightmare King himself?" Your mother chirped. You sighed.

"I guess."

"Oh, come on Y/N! This only happens every few hundred years for us vampire moths; you should be happy to meet him! Are you feeling alright?" Your mother questioned, putting a wing on your shoulder. You shrugged slightly and looked at yourself in the mirror. Your mother had dressed you up in the nicest dress she had, and your siblings made a necklace for you, but there was one thing missing.

You.

Your family had dressed you up to THEIR liking, not yours. Not even the Nightmare King's assumed liking. Theirs. Sure, you appreciated the effort, but you were old enough to choose your own outfit!

Still, nonetheless, you allowed it.

"He's here! The Nightmare King is here!" A voice called from outside. You and a few other girls in your tribe scurried out of your homes and into the center of town. You glanced around, apparently you weren't the only one forced into dresses and jewelry. You all lined up.

"Now, remember, Y/N. Grimm looks for the most beautiful woman. You don't necessarily have the...personality for him, so just sit there and look pretty! Thanks!" Shana, your next-door neighbor, remarked. You hated her. Beauty pageants, singing contests, you name it, she was the best in show.

"Oh, Y/N, don't listen to her. She's nothing compared to you!" Your mom remarked. You rolled your eyes.

"Ya got that right."

You stood up straight, plastering a fake smile on your face as you watched Grimm examine each female. You caught him mumbling to himself.

"Hm...none of these women seem..right..."

"Hi, Mr. Nightmare King sir! My name is Shana! You can go ahead and send everyone here home, because I'm obviously the most beautiful, most intelligent, and most stylish! Plus, under this dress is something I know you'd love to see." Shana hinted, earning a disgusted glare from Grimm.

"No." He continued down the line, muttering under his breath. "Maybe..? No, no, she's not my type...that one's a guy..."

Was he talking to himself? Huh. You quickly stood up straight as he came to you, his eyes widening slightly. His head tilted to the side slightly as he mumbled something under his breath. You couldn't quite make it out though.

"I would like to interview this fine lady, if you please." He spoke to your mother, who stood near you. She nodded and gently nudged you towards Grimm.

Grimm led you into an alley, secluded enough so that your conversation would not be heard. You watched as he leaned against the wall; both of you tried to find a way to start the conversation.

"Y/N, is it? That's a nice name, were you born with it?" He joked, attempting to lighten the tension-- it was so thick you could cut it with a knife. A smile tugged at the corners of your lips and you shrugged.

"I guess. So...why'd you pick me?" You asked, his scarlet eyes quickly flicking up to meet your E/C ones.

"Er...well. You aren't like the others, this is evident. Simply by how you were watching me, you were different. You were not silently cheering as I quietly rejected those other girls, and don't think I hadn't noticed that smirk when I turned down that Shana girl." He smiled, a chuckle rumbling in his throat.

You laughed. "Yeah, she's weird."

"Indeed. On another note, you just have that... aura about you that I... I just cannot place where I know it from..." He watched you to see your reaction.