The Other Side

This happened to me last year, while I was in my first year of High school.

I was attending a boarding school and sharing a room with one of my close friends.

On Thanksgiving, we had a three-day break and my friend told me that she was going to visit her family. Little did I know, that was a lie.

Being in that room by myself was incredibly boring so I decided to stay with my boyfriend.

We were having a really good time, and everything was going great. Until the principal announced the most horrible and frightening news.

Apparently, a crazy psychopath had broken into our school, and the whole place was under lockdown.

Nobody knew what to do, so we all just lived in complete and utter fear for about a week, praying that this nightmare would end. It was one very long week. 

Thankfully everything eventually came back to normal, and whoever had done this was caught. I went back to my dorm room, as soon as the code was lifted, to pack my bags and get the hell out of that school. Right when I was about to walk out, I saw that I had an unread text message. It was from my friend who had tried to reach out to me the day before to tell me that she would be back today. She still hadn't arrived. 

At first, I didn't think much about it. But I decided to stick around for a while until she got here. I waited for three days, and still, nothing. I was starting to get extremely worried since no one had heard from her in weeks. Not her friends, not her teachers, and not even her parents whom she was supposed to be staying with. I decided to go speak to the principal. 

Once I got to her office, I explained everything and told her all the information I knew, but surprisingly, she told me that my best friend had never left the school. None of this was making sense.

Knowing she would never lie to me, I just walked out of the room and went to call her parents. They too told me that she had never gone to visit them. At this point, I had completely given up hope and just waited for her return.

That's when it all took a turn for the worst.

Each time I went to bed or was just in my room, there would always be this godawful smell. Each night it would get worse and worse.

Knowing the school was old, I just sent a complaint to maintenance. But then the sounds started. I kept hearing what sounded like thousands of muffled voices coming from behind the walls.

At first, I only thought that it was my imagination, but they would get louder each night, along with the smell.

After a couple of weeks of all this paranormal activity, I thought that I was for sure going crazy. Then, I got a call from the cops, saying that they were still searching for my friend and that they would be coming to the school next. By then, it had already been about three weeks since anybody had seen her or even talked to her.

Since she used to stay in my room, the police asked me to notify them if anything strange happened. I asked them why since it was not like she could be hiding in our tiny dorm. The two cops just exchanged a strange look and told me that this was not the first time that a girl had gone missing like this.

So, I decided to tell them about the smells and the voices. They didn't say anything at first. All they did was rush out and told me to go home right away.

I know I shouldn't have stayed there, but she was my best friend, and I had a right to know what happened to her. 

As I hid behind our door, I saw the two men go straight to the top bunk without the slightest hesitation. My heart seemed to stop as they reached for the other side and pulled out the body. The body of my best friend, who had been rotting right under me this entire time.

I broke down, sobbing, enraged at myself that I didn't figure this out earlier. That I didn't help her. That I didn't save her. I just let her die here, alone and scared, while I was being absolutely careless. I begged the police to tell me how this could have happened. Begged them to tell me how they knew where she was right away. 

They told me that thirty years ago, a girl got murdered in that very same room whilst she was sleeping on the bottom bunk. Her roommate had gone for the weekend and when she returned, her friend was gone. Unbeknownst to her, there was a body decaying on the other side of her bunk for weeks.

The person who had done this somehow managed to get away with it and the young lady was soon forgotten by everyone. Including her roommate. 

Some other girl moved in and she got the top bunk as all the new students did, but curiously,  her roommate also passed away the next year on the same day as the previous one had. This strange behavior happened each year, on the same day for the following 29 years. 

The police told me that the gut-wrenching smell was most likely the body that was right under me. And as for the sounds, well the only explanation for that was the voices of all the deceased girls, their ghosts pleading to be heard and to be remembered. 

Now you might be wondering how come no one has figured out the pattern or stopped this. But the thing is, it's impossible. The room is cursed. No matter how many times you try to leave, it simply will not let you. Your death is inevitable from the moment you walk in through those doors. 

So today, I write this in fear for my life as my new roommate just arrived, and I was told to move to the bottom bunk.