The Intruder

When I was little, I was always petrified that there was something lurking under my bed and just waiting for the perfect moment to jump out and tear me apart in thousands of pieces. 

Of course, I grew up and learned that there was no such thing as monsters under your bed, or the boogie man hiding in your closet. At least that's what I had always told myself.

It was the night before my fifteenth birthday and both my parents had gone out for dinner. I had spent most of the night watching horror movies as they didn't affect me as they did other people.

I was excited for the next day, that I couldn't manage to fall asleep. Instead, I just lay there, wide awake, staring at the ceiling. 

The house was pitch silent until I heard a scratching sound coming from the closet. I just lay in my bed, unable to move, staring in fear as I watching both closet doors slowly starting to creak open.

I hoped that whatever that thing was, that it didn't see me. I slowly went under the covers and tried staying as still as I could, not even daring to breathe as I heard it shuffling around my bedroom.

When I finally dared to look back, I saw my parents that5 had probably just returned from their diner, being smashed against the wall, dead. 

I took everything I had to hold back my tears who wear menacing to spill out at any moment now. I shut my eyes, hoping that I would wake up and that this would all just be my imagination. But as I slowly opened them once again, nothing had changed and there was now, written on my wall in thick, black blood, "I know you're awake."

I looked around trying to see if the hideous monster was still here, but couldn't as I felt a sharp pain in my abdomen and everything went black.