Aren't You Glad You Didn't Turn On The Lights?

My best friend Lola and I were very different people back in high school. I was very quiet and always had my nose stuck in a book, whilst Lola was always very outgoing and loved to go out whenever she could.

One Thursday night, she asked me if I wanted to go to a party, but we had a huge exam the next day, so I refused.

"Fine, whatever. You're so boring!", she responded, stuffing her purse with her makeup.

"Alright, well call me if you need me, but when are you going to study?", I asked, knowing very well the answer was she wouldn't.

"When I get back, duh!". She was already out the door when she answered.

After a couple of hours, studying alone was starting to get boring, so I decided to head over to my friend Ana's dorm.

Of course, we got distracted and ended up watching a movie. I figured I would just spend the night with her since I knew Lola wasn't going to make it back anyway. I head back to my room to get my stuff ready for the next day, but when I entered all the lights were shut off, which was normal. Although I could have sworn, I had left them open when I left. Maybe Lola had made it back and had decided to study for once in her life. I decided to let her get some rest for the test, so I tried to gather my things in the dark, before slipping back out of the room to Ana's place.

________________________________________________________________________________

I woke up the next day with a jump. I had slept through my alarm and was already late to my exam. I grabbed my bag and shoved through the sea of students in the hallway. I couldn't stop but realize all the stars that I seemed to be getting. It was strange, but I made my way to class nonetheless, only to find out that it was canceled because of some sort of accident.

I slowly returned to my room, my head aching from this confusing morning. My eyes were hardly even open when I bumped into a police officer who abruptly stopped me with his hand.

"This your room?", he asked.

"Umm, yes? May I ask what's happening?". That morning was just getting stranger by the minute.

"I'm afraid I can't let you miss. This scene is now part of an ongoing criminal investigation."

"I'm sorry, what?".

The officer simply pushed open my door and that's when I saw her. Lola's lifeless body spread across her bed, and on the wall, written in her blood were the words: Aren't you glad you didn't turn on the lights?