Summer Camp

When my mother first told me that she would be sending me to camp I was overwhelmed with excitement. I had always wanted to go and just couldn't wait to meet new people and make a bunch of new friends. 

I decided to pack my bags right then and there and a couple of weeks after school finished, I was off to summer camp. Once I got there, my first thought was that I didn't know anybody but once the counselor assigned me to my room, I noticed that my two other roommates, Sophie and Laura had the same interests as me so we soon became friends. 

The first night was a blast and we had a blast, laughing our heads off, without a care in the world. Since it was only the first night, we didn't have to do much so we all just hung out on the room until our assigned counselor, Cassie, beconed us to go to the camp fore with all the other girls. 

While on our way, we talked about our lives and they told me that this wasn't their first year here, and so I asked them questions about this place. Laura was more of an aventurious soul and so she lead us towards a shortcut in the woods. Everything was going fine until I noticed a strong shadow among the trees. It looked like a girl our age, so I though she was lost and called to her.  

"Ronie what are you doing?" Laura asked, her voice cracking. 

"I"m just trying to get that girls attention." I responded, confused.

"There's nobody there..." Sophie mentioned, sounding as frightened as Laura.

"What re you talking about? Of course there is, she is standing right there and her hair is dripping wet." I was starting to get frustrated that they didn't believe me. 

And with that they toke off running back to the fire. I had no idea what was going on but I juts followed them back to where the rest of the group was. They never decided to talk to me about it, and so I didn't bring it up. 

A couple of hours later, shortly after midnight, all three of us where lying in bed, without a word being spoken. Noobody had mentioned anything about what had happened in the woods but I knew all three of us where awake, contemplating if we should or not. Finally, I couldn't bare the silence anymore and so I spoke. 

"What the hell happened back there?" I asked, badly wanting answers to all of my questions. 

None of them answered me, they just laid there in silence, blankly straing at the ceiling. 

"Hello?! I know you guys are awake!!" 

Finally I heard the top bunk squeak as Laura sighed and made her way down to my level. 

"You may want to sit down for this..." Sophie said, sitting down next to Laura and forming a circle while doing so. "Do you want to tell her or I do?" she asked Laura. 

"You go a head." Laura answered while bitting her nails, it was a bad habit of hers. Her hands where firgeting and she looked askance. I had no idea what was the big deal about this story. 

"It's quite a short story but also quit disturbing for some people." Sophie started. "A couple of years ago, a little girl claimed to be hearing things from inside the walls and seeing things that nobody else did. Of course nobody believed her because who ever does with that nonsense. One day, while swimming in the lake, she told her friends that there wear horrible screams coming from the very bottom of the deep end. They just laughed and called her crazy. Their laughing soon stopped as she got brutally dragged to the bottom and no one ever saw her again. Many adults tried swimming after her only a couple of secounds after she disapeared but she couldn't be found, it was as if she had just vanished into thin air." 

"That's it?" I asked.

"Ya!" Laura answered frustrated and looking even more on adge. "That is it!"

"I'm sorry." I responded, trying not to laugh. "Your atory just seriously seames like a ghost stoty to say around a fire."

"Well it isn't!"

"And it's real! We fear that what you saw in the forest earlier today was the ghost of that girl who drowned in the lake." Sophie chiped in. 

"Ya right." I just rolled my eyes at my friends who where probably just trying to scare me since I was new here. They just sighed as we all headeed back to bed, exhausted since it was still pretty late and we where way past curfew.

They where both alrteady fast asleep as I still struggled to find a confertable position. I just couldn't seem to fall asleep and jept hearing what seemed an aweful like whispers coming from the walls. I knew for sure that it was only my imagination messing with me. This sorta thing always happened after hearing or watching something scary...

The day after my friends told me about the unfortunate incident in the lake was my first full day and I was fully pumped of energy. I wasn't going to let anything get in the way of me having a good time with my friends. 

The camp had already a bunch of activities planned out for us so we didn't really have time to do what we wanted except at the end of the day when we had about an hour of free swimming if we wanted to. If not, wecan just go in our cabins and get ready for dinner. 

Of course my friends and I decided to go since we wanted to take full advantage of the day. I hand't told them about the whisperings from the previous night and wasn't planning on to. i still did hear them during that day, but they seemed more distant as I wasn't thinking about them as much. 

It was just when we entered the water when all hell broke loose. Right from the beginning I could sense that something was wrong. Sudenly, a piercing sound was pounding inside my head and causing me a massice headache. I grabbed at my head to try and stop the throbbing pain and shortly after it stopped. Strange, I thought. 

I soon forgot about everything that had happened and was having fun with my besties jump off the dock again and again until one time, I didn't come bombing back up. 

There was some kind of force dragging me down the the bottom of the lake and I just couldn't get away from it. No matter how hard I faugh against whatever thenthing was, I just couldn't. As I sannnk farther and farther away, I saw my friends standing on the dock, laughing and splashing each other. For a moment I though that had forgotten me but soon enough they where screaming and frantically waving at the counselors. 

When no help came fast enough, Sophie jumped into the water to get and I could have sworn that for just a moment, I saw the face of the girl in the woods smile as Sophie latched on to me. Even with both our strength combined we couldn' t make it back to the surface. 

I was sure that was going to be the end of me. Until Cassie jumped in the water and pulled us both back to shore. When asked what had happened nobody could quite explain it, but one thing was sure, everybody was terrified. 

Whoever was in charge told my friends and I that this wasn't the first time something like this happened and so it was just better to close the camp for good and never talk about it again. After that expeeriance, I never returned to that camp ever.

Except yesterday, when I toke my daughter hiking into a forest with my husband. I knew when we first started that this place seemed very familiar but I just couldn't put from where. That's when my daughter said hi to someone who was supposedly a little girl who had just gone swimming. That's when I knew and dragged both my husband and daughter home, not once turning back.