Breaking News

My mom was always petrified of leaving my sister and me home alone. We always had to spend hours just to convince her whenever she had an important job interview and couldn't afford a babysitter.

Today she had finally left us and we were now sitting on the couch watching tv. After lunch, everything was quiet until a loud knocking interrupted us. At first, we ignored it, since my mother would have absolutely killed us if we had gone to open the door. 

Even though we tried ignoring it, the knocking didn't stop for the following twenty minutes. At some point, my sister couldn't take the unbearable noise anymore and decided to go up to tell whoever it was to piss off because they were annoying as hell.

I let her go because I have to agree, it was very nerve-racking. I heard her open the door to ask who it was, some shuffling, and then...nothing. 

There was silence for a long thirty minutes. I didn't dare move or make a sound. 

I finally managed to crawl out the patio door to go to my neighbor's house like my mother had told me to do in case of an emergency. 

He was an older man and kindly let me in. After a couple of minutes of awkward silence, he asked me if I wanted to turn on the TV, which was very old and small. 

He didn't have many available channels so we ended up watching the news. We both watched in fear the screen as we saw an ongoing investigation about a murder. 

"Hey, isn't that your house?" the old man asked.

"Yes, it is..." I responded, fear growing in my eyes as I watched my mother weeping on TV as a body was being rolled into an ambulance. 

My sister had never come back downstairs.