☾︎

Awkward

☽︎

• ────── ✾ ────── •

"You what?!"

"Yeah, baby. It was news to me too.."

Jun was sprawled on his bed talking to Tzuyu. The girl was shocked to hear that Jun had transferred to another school.

"When can I meet you?" She whined.

"I don't know. My schedule's packed. Maybe during holiday?"

"That's too long to wait~"

He chuckled at Tzuyu's cuteness. Jun was about to say something teasingly to the girl when Minghao barged into the room.

"Get up. We have practise," he spoke in a surprisingly harsh tone.

"Gotta run babe, talk to you later, okay?"

Jun ended the call and quickly changed into a more comfortable outfit. Minghao had already walked out the door and Jun almost didn't make it as the younger was beginning to lock it.

"Be late next time and I'll lock you inside," he threatened.

"I wasn't even late!" Jun argued but the younger ignored him.

The practise started off pretty normally. It was difficult for Jun to follow the new choreo the other three had already come up with but after about a good hour he was dancing almost freely.

However, it was difficult to cooperate with Minghao. The younger would purposely avoid touches or eye contact so the two were out of sync.

"Stop stop stop!" Shouted Soonyoung after the two got yet another part wrong.

"I get it - Jun hyung is new with this. But seriously, Minghao, what's gotten into you?" The leader scolded them, annoyed.

Soonyoung sighed as neither of them answered.

"We're taking a fifteen minute break." He motioned for Chan to follow him and walked out the glass door.

Suddenly Jun heard a click. Soonyoung had locked the door before anyone could realize.

"Hyung, what the hell!" Minghao yelled as he banged on the thick glass.

"You're both staying here until you are no longer awkward with each other," the leader grinned devilishly and walked away giggling to himself. Chan just shrugged apologetically and rushed after Soonyoung.

"Shit.." Minghao cursed quite loudly.

He stomped angrily to a bench near one off the walls and sat on it, fiercely chugging down some water. As Minghao took his fifth gulp, something went wrong and he choked. Jun immediately scooted over to help him, patting the younger on the back as he tried to save his breathing.

When Minghao finally regained his breath, he realized the proximity between them. Jun's face was hovering above his, a worried expression plastered over it.

"Are you alright?" He asked, his voice growing low and serious.

Nothing more but a high-pitched squeak left Minghao's throat as he nodded furiously. The younger felt his cheeks heating up.

"Should we start the choreo again?" Asked Jun, still half-whispering.

"L-Let go of m-me first.." The younger breathed out, his face almost as red as a cherry.

Only then Jun noticed the position both were in and let go of Minghao's body.

"Sorry.." He awkwardly scratched his head and chuckled nervously.

"Wh-Whatever. Let's dance," the younger stood up and played the song again.

However, nothing changed. Minghao still refused to look at the older or even at his reflection in the mirror.

Eventually Jun got tired of it. He turned off the music and sat down on the floor.

"Come sit," he gently patted a spot next to him. Minghao threw a glare at the smiling boy but listened anyways. After all, he had no choice.

"What is it? Am I that scary?" The other joked.

"Pfft no. You're the opposite of scary," the younger snapped playfully.

"Oh really now?" Jun's smile suddenly vanished as he leaned closer to Minghao. The younger, realizing what the older was doing, pushed him away. Jun fell back groaning.

"Gosh, I'm so sorry, hyung, Iー"

Suddenly Minghao was rolling on the floor after being pushed by Jun.

Somehow their little game turned into a tickle war and soon both boys were laughing hard. The tension was relieved..

"So, tell me about yourself," asked Jun when they were sitting down again, leaning against a wall, exhausted and panting.

"Well.. My name is Xu Minghao, I'm seventeー"

"I know that already! Tell me something interesting," the older laughed.

Minghao thought for some time, then smiled softly.

"I like painting, animals.. And Chinese food! I love Chinese food.." He sighed dreamily.

"Ahh, now I'm hungry.." They both laughed.

"And not to brag but I'm good at b-boying," he added proudly.

"Then show me, or I won't believe it!"

"Prepare to be amazed," the younger grinned as he turned on some music.

Jun had to agree - the younger was indeed really good. His cool energy and fast spins were truly enviable.

"You weren't bragging for nothing," Jun said as he clapped for Minghao's short but powerful performance.

"Now tell me something about you," the younger said as he sat down closer to Jun.

"Um.. I'm funnyー"

"Not."

Jun furrowed his eyebrows and pouted.

"I am! You just don't know that yet."

"Okay, fair."

He sighed. For some reason, talking to Minghao and listening to his voice felt really nice. The younger boy radiated a peculiar calming energy, something that Jun hasn't been able to find in anyone else he'd met so far..

"Don't tell that to anyone but sometimes when I'm alone, I sing."

"In the shower?" The younger asked teasingly.

"No! Just.. in general. Sometimes.."

Both sat silently for a moment or two before Minghao spoke.

"I'd like to hear you sing," he whispered almost inaudibly. But Jun heard the boy loud and clear.

"Oh no, I'm bad at it," he said sheepishly.

"You also said you're bad at dancing and look how that turned out!"

As the boys became so engaged in their conversation, they didn't notice how the sun eventually began falling behind the horizon and the sky changed into a dark shade of purple. They only paid attention to each other, having no one to bother the two as Soonyoung already forgot to have locked them.

And as he watched the younger smiling softly at him, for the first time ever, Jun felt a strange, unfamiliar, yet warm and fluttering feeling inside his heart..

• ────── ✾ ────── •