☾︎

Selfish hope

☽︎

• ────── ✾ ────── •

Have you ever gotten the feeling it's going to be a terrible day from the minute you wake up?

This morning Jun felt exactly like that. He woke up to loud noises coming from the bathroom and it took the boy a good couple minutes to figure out it was supposed to sound like singing. Someone was tearing up their vocal chords with full force and on top of it - completely off-key.

He got confused as to why any sane person would yell so loudly in the early morning when somebody knocked on the door. Before Jun could say anything, Seokmin and Seungkwan bursted into the room.

"Good morning, how are you?" Seungkwan asked in his low quality English.

"I'm fine thank you too," responded Seokmin, also in English.

"No no, you.. don't say 'too'. I say 'you too', not you!"

Jun groaned at the two idiots and pulled the blanket over his head. Suddenly he heard the bathroom door opening.

"BURREORA HURRICANE!!"

Jun mentally cursed and rolled his eyes to the back of his head in annoyance as the BooSeokSoon trio began doing some ritual dancing in front of the bathroom.

"Guys, not to be mean but what the hell are you all doing in our room?" The boy glanced at the digital clock on his side table.

"At 7 in the morning?!" He added shouting in surprise.

"Our shower's broken, so we asked Minghao if we could use yours and he agreed," explained Seokmin.

Fortunately, Minghao wasn't present in the room, otherwise Jun would've probably choked the boy to death.

After a good hour of pure headache, the three finally left the room and a traumatized Jun, who was laying in his bed, unable to throw the picture of Seungkwan's naked butt out of his head.

"Hey~" Minghao stepped inside. He came back from his morning run and was greeted by a sour-looking Jun.

"Seriously? Them? At this hour?"

Minghao let out a light giggle, the kind of laugh that Jun was already used to hearing everyday and has grown to love.

"It's only temporary until their shower's fixed."

"And that is when?"

"Umm.. Maybe in couple of days?"

The older fell in his back groaning loudly and clearly expressing his disagreement and dissatisfaction.

First lesson that day was history and the teacher decided it'd be fun to give an unexpected pop-quiz. His seatmate Jeonghan sneaked out of the class when the teacher wasn't looking but Jun's conscience didn't let him do the same, so he stayed.

After the sudden quiz, Jun happily walked to his favourite subject - maths. Unfortunately, the teacher was sick and all the classmates went wild upon hearing the news. One idiotic kid became so excited, that he threw his heavy math book all across the room and of course it just had to hit Jun on the head.

"What's next, huh?!" He snapped after some younger kids ran into him in one of the hallways and made him drop everything the boy was carrying.

"Wow dude, you're okay?" Asked Hansol as he helped Jun with his stuff. Again.

"Just Gucci. Awesome. Perfecto."

"Geez, fine. I won't bother you," laughed Hansol.

When lunch break finally started, Jun was already feeling a bit better. Minghao, seeing how down the older was, tried cheering him up with lame jokes. They were so unfunny, that Jun almost laughed his head off, along with the rest of the table. Even always-emo Wonwoo flashed a toothy grin.

Right in the middle of yet another joke, Jun suddenly felt his pocket vibrate.

"Sorry, I have to take this."

Just like the other time, Minghao's smile vanished in an instant..

"Hey, Tzuyu. What'sー"

"You haven't called me in a week."

"I know. I have a really busy schedule."

"That's your excuse?"

"It's not an excuse, it's the truth!"

Jun was getting irritated. He and Tzuyu would talk almost every evening through texts because the boy was always extremely tired but that didn't mean he was ignoring his girlfriend.

Or was he..?

"Jun, I don't think we can do this anymore."

The boy felt weak in his knees.

"Tzuyu.. Why?"

A short silence followed his words.

"This.. long distance thing.. isn't working," she finally uttered.

"I'll make it work. I'll call you every break!" Jun tried reasoning but deep inside he knew it was already worthless. He messed up.

"No. We can't be together anymore, I'm sorry." She said and then hung up.

Her voice has never sounded so cold and distant. Suddenly Jun remembered the first day he met Tzuyu, her warm smile and how he instantly fell for the bubbly girl.

He wanted to cry, to shout and at the same time just forget everything. What was worse, he didn't feel sad. Just empty.

Jun should've known this was going to end soon. After all, the boy expected this and was preparing for the moment she would decide to end their relationship. And if he also knew they weren't meant for each other..

Then why was he still hurting?

Suddenly a low laugh escaped his throat. It was overflowing with extreme bitterness and at the same time, strange relief. Jun slowly made his way towards the dorm, phone still in his hand.

What he didn't notice was another boy watching him..

Minghao heard and understood everything. It was hard to miss the way the older's shoulders slumped at the last sentence said by the person over the phone and how his expression suddenly became heartbroken and hurt.

The boy knew he should've been sorry for Jun. However, Minghao couldn't help but feel a faint slither of hope lighting up inside his heart..

• ────── ✾ ────── •