11. Preparing for a battle

(RaeAnna's POV)

I could barely sleep at all last night. I tossed and turned pretty much the whole time. I finally managed to fall asleep around 3:30 am. I kept having nightmares, visions about the horrendous reality that has become my life. I was only eleven and getting threatened by the ruthless, deranged minions my father had under his unrelenting power. He is a devil in wolves clothing. My heart shatters remembering he is the monster I once called a parent. I learned a long time ago that he will never be that, He couldn't be. No father would treat his children in such a disgusting manner. I hate the shell of a man he has become, If you could even call him that. He will never deserve that inscription. Real men are supposed to protect those who are weaker than they are. He is getting joy out of this, I bet he is having the time of his life while I am here suffering.

*Nightmare*

William and stampede of demons were all around me, watching me kill hundreds of men, women and even children. They were all laughing hysterically, like they had been possessed. The riot of chaos was echoing from all around me. I was getting beat, fists flying, bullets merely missing my head and when I would almost die they would heal me only to send me back out towards the battle. They didn't heal me in a normal, comfortable way. They would operate on my head in a manner that hurt like hell. After they took apart my skull they would inject medicine into my brain to repair the damage that had been done. They didn't do it gently. It felt as if they were tearing my brain apart. They didn't care how much they were torturing me. They enjoyed it, no they found happiness in it.

*end of nightmare*

Remembering my dream I started to have a panic attack; I couldn't breathe. What else would they make me do?

It was currently 7:30 am. I had a plan, I had to go to school. I would have my grandma take me, but when she drove away I wouldn't go inside. There was no way I could face the large number of students there today, I would freak out. I had to do this carefully; I couldn't get caught. I had a mission to do tonight and I couldn't let myself get distracted. I would have to think this through diligently if I was going to succeed.

I got up like I normally would to get me and Dakota ready then I went downstairs to meet my grandma. "Are my two babies ready to go to school?" Grandma Rosie inquires. I smile, nervously. "Yes Gramma, we're both ready."

"Okay. Let's go then."

We drive up into the school parking lot, I was clutching my backpack so hard to where my knuckles were turning white. "I will see both of you at 4:00. Love you both."

We both said our goodbyes, this is it. I waited until she drove off then I watched as Dakota entered the school. I made sure nobody was looking then carefully proceeded to make my way towards the alley to the side of the school. I hid behind one of the dumpsters, unsure of what my next move was.

(Lincoln's POV)

I had just pulled up to Bullec elementary with my dad. I seen RaeAnna and my eyes lit up in excitement. I'm not sure what it was about her, but she can light up my day by just her mere presence. "Who is that?" My dad asked with his eyebrows raised.

I blushed, slightly. "She's just a friend dad."

He chuckled and shook his head. "Okay whatever you say son. Go before you end up late." I said bye to him as he drove away and made my way towards her. She looks nervous, I wonder why. Then, she did something I did not expect. Instead of going into the school she snuck off to the alley. "Hmm" I mumbled to myself. What is she up to?

I decide to follow her, she might be in trouble. I had to know what was going on with her. I went into the alley she snuck off to, I couldn't see her. Then, that's when I heard it, sniffling coming from behind one of the dumpsters, is she crying?

I slowly and quietly made my way towards her, not wanting to startle her. I seen her, crouched into a ball with her knees tucked in and her head hanging low, she is definitely crying.

I crouch down in front of her and carefully put my hand on her shoulder. She jumped and screeched. "Link! You almost scared me half to death! What are you doing here?" She managed to ask, through her erratic breathing.

"I'm sorry, Ann. I didn't mean to scare you. I seen you come to the alley and decided to come see what was wrong. Why aren't you going to school today? Why are you crying behind a dumpster? Did somebody hurt you?" She started to cry harder. "Hey, it's okay. Don't cry. What's the matter?"

Then she did something unexpected, she hugged me. Clutching onto my shirt, while sobbing into my chest. I started to rub her back to soothe her. "Hey. It's okay. I'm here. Stop crying. Please Ann."

"I'm sorry link. I wish I could tell you what was going on, but I can't. It isn't safe for you."

"Ann, look at me." She raises her eyes slightly. They are puffy and red, she looks exhausted.

"Tell me what's going on. Are you in some kind of danger?" She freezes for a moment and then she begins to tremble. I know I have hit the nail on the head with that one. "Shhh, it's okay. You don't have to tell me, but at least let me be here for you. Let me be your friend. You can tell me when you're ready. Only if you decide to. No pressure, okay?"

I can see a slight smile curving her lips. Through her tears she manages to speak. "Okay link. Thank you. I could really use a friend right now. My life is so messed up. I don't know what to do. Please, don't leave me. I couldn't go to school today. I couldn't face everybody, but I really don't want to be alone right now. I might lose it."

Hearing those words fall from her lips shatters me. She's in serious trouble. I can feel it. "I'm here for you and I'm not going anywhere. I'll just sit here with you. We don't have to talk. We can just sit. I don't want you to be alone. I won't allow it. I'll always be here if you need a shoulder to cry on."

She smiles, a genuine smile this time. "Thank you. You don't know how much I needed to hear that right now."

"You're welcome Ann."

What is going on with you? Why is such a beautiful soul shattering into a million pieces? I will find out what is going on. One way or another and I will do everything in my power to help you, I think to myself. I have to help my friend.