30. Unclean affair

(RaeAnna's POV)

Lincoln told me that he would do it, I didn't need to ask any questions, I knew exactly what he was talking about. We are out of school for spring break, but instead of doing stuff like going to the mall or whatever it is kids do these days, I'm waiting on the next inevitable mission I have to do, which might include murder. Typical 12 year old business, I roll my eyes with a loud sigh.

I have been seeing that black SUV pretty much every single day, they're really getting underneath my skin. I have to admit I was terrified of all of this in the beginning, now all I am able to feel is rage, I want to get revenge, I need to. This isn't how someone is meant to live their life, I want to do normal things, like go see a movie, go hang out at the skatepark, but I can't be bothered with any of that right now, not when my family's life is in my hands, I have to be their safety net, their protector.

Lincoln told me his dad had to go into the office to do some work, Felix mostly works from home, but sometimes has to go into the office, he works for some big company. I convinced my grandma to let me go to his house for a little while. "Let's go sweet pea, you ready?" Gramma Rosie asks me. "Yes I'm ready, let me just grab Gunnar real quick." I go to get Gunnar and my bag, heading out to the car, there is that stupid SUV again, I can't wait to get rid of them. I have half a mind to flip them the bird, but I'm sure my grandma wouldn't appreciate that gesture and I'm sure it would make them angry.

We just pulled up to his house, I can see that Lincoln is already waiting on the front porch for me, rocking back and forth on their brown wooden porch swing. "I'll be back in a little while." Gramma Rosie states. "Okay, I love you Gramma, be safe." I say while giving her a peck on her cheek. She narrows her eyes, only slightly. "Okay. I love you to kiddo. Have fun." I almost laugh at the word 'fun', but I manage to suppress it.

I walk to him, he has his eyes closed. "Hi there Link. Let's do this shall we?" He smiles and opens his eyes. "Yes, let's. My dad will be back in a couple of hours. Sometime around 3, so we should have plenty of time to find the code." We head inside. "So..where should we look first?" I inquire. "I'm pretty positive it will be in his office somewhere. Ladies first." I do a goofy bow. "Why thank you."

We head upstairs straight to his office, we open the large wooden door and I'm in shock for a moment, it's huge. Dark navy green walls with brownish-red trim, there are numerous file cabinets, along with a humongous cornered desk. There is no telling where the code is, I'm a little overwhelmed. "Well let's get started."

We rummage through the files, finding nothing. I decide to go through his desk drawers. It's been about 30 minutes of searching, I'm about to look somewhere else when I see a small sticky note sticking to a folder. It says 'safe code' "Link, I think I found it." I pull out the folder to show him. "87621." He says. "Put it back, we will just write it down."

We go to his dad's room and into his large walk-in closet. Lincoln puts in the code and we hear a clicking noise, signaling that the code has worked. He opens it up and my mouth falls open. He has it filled with guns, some look to be heavy-duty, while others look to be more light. "Take your pick." Lincoln tells me, looking amused by my facial expression. "I don't really know a lot about guns. Which one is the most powerful?" I ask. He looks back into the safe, looking for a specific one. "This one here is perfect." He hands it to me, along with some bullets. "It's beautiful." I state amazed. "What kind of gun is this?" I ask. "It's a magnum. 44 cal." I hold it in my hands. "Thank you for doing this." He looks a bit upset at my words. "I just wish you didn't have to go through this." He tells me in a brittle voice. "I know" I place my hand on his cheek. "But I'm lucky to have you to go to." He grins half heartedly leaning into my hand. "Okay let's get out of here before my dad gets home."