41. Inquisition

(Lincoln's POV)

It has been a few weeks since we confronted Audrey. Chester couldn't get her to speak about Williams whereabouts. The last time I seen my uncle he told me "it was done." I didn't need to ask what he meant by that. I knew exactly what he was talking about. As much as I know I should feel bad about her death, I just can't, my only thought is RaeAnna and how there was one less person in this world to cause her harm. I have no sympathy to anyone that would hurt my best friend, absolutely none.

Every day at school I have to shield RaeAnna from the never ending questions people ask her, since her story was on every news channel you can think of. It was really starting to make me angry. Can't they just leave her alone?

RaeAnna went into the bathroom while I stood outside waiting for her, I felt like it was my job to protect her, so I was always close by. My friend Rylee seen me and rushed over, looking like he had something really important to tell me.

I waited for him to speak. "Dude have you heard the rumors going around?" I quickly dart my eyes straight to his. "What rumors?" I question him.

"About RaeAnna." I instantly become enraged, losing my temper. "What the hell are people saying about her!?" I ask, on the brink of losing control. "They're saying she made it all up. That she was never attacked. Somehow the news of her being raped got out even though they didn't put that part on the news. People are calling her a slut, saying she wanted it and when the guy ditched her afterwards, she cried rape. They're saying she staged everything to make it look like an attack and-"

"ENOUGH!" I shout. "I want to know who the hell is saying these things about her! We are about to have some serious problems! They weren't there! They didn't see what I saw!" I almost cry remembering the state she was in when we found her, my anger holding my tears at bay. How can people be so cruel? She has been through enough and now to add this on top of it all, my poor girl has been through hell. Will she ever get a break?

The bathroom door opens and she comes out. I instantly feel a sharp stab in my heart. She heard every single word. Tears are rolling down her rosy cheeks. "S-so I'm just the school slut now. Is that it!" She takes off running down the hall, I shake my head at Rylee. "Dammit!" I don't know where she is going but I follow her. "Ann wait! Please!" She doesn't stop, she goes out of the door that leads to the side of the school.

I am right at her heels, she stands there for a moment then she drops to her knees sobbing uncontrollably. My heart hurts, how much crap will she have to go through before she finally snaps? I don't say anything, instead I drop down to my knees right in front of her. She clutches onto me, I can feel her tears soaking through my t-shirt, but I don't care. I just hold her, not knowing what to say.

Until she finally speaks and my heart breaks all over again. "They shattered me Link! They took away something that was supposed to be special! Something that wasn't meant to happen until years down the road! I have nightmares every single night about their dirty, filthy hands all over me, raping me over and over again! Why can't I just be strong?" She sobs out, I hold onto her tighter.

"You are the strongest person I have ever met Ann. You have to know that." I say, on the verge of tears. "I don't feel strong! I feel weak! Look at me, crying and feeling sorry for myself. They made me feel like I wanted to die, if it wasn't for you, Grandma and Dakota I wouldn't care if I was dead. This is just too much. It's all too much! You know what I seen on the news yesterday? The family I was meant to save, they are all dead, all of them burned alive! He is still out there! I will never be safe as long as William is alive. I want him dead!" She screams the last part, clinging onto me harder.