[12] grandma's dead

Grandma's Dead

It was a Sunday night, and Bernice was over at the Formans' all day for church and dinner. Izzy had spent the majority of the day cooking for the family, to take some stress off of her mother.

When it came time to say goodbye, everyone was practically running to get Bernice out of the house. Red rushed to open her door for her, and Kitty ran out to hand her some leftovers.

"Here, Bernice," she said, "Isabelle and I made you a plate of leftovers.

Bernice gave Kitty a sugary smile. "Thank you. Oh, that reminds me, Red, my garbage disposal is still broken."

"Well, just as long as you enjoy it." Kitty said, hanging her the tupperware.

"Listen, I've got an idea. Let's eat out next Sunday. That way everybody can get something they like."

Izzy stood next to Eric on the other side of the car, a stony look on her face. "Do you know how long it took me to make that ham? That shit had brown sugar and pineapple." She hissed to her brother.

"Okay, grandma, time to get you home! Come on, Izzy, let's get this over with." Eric said, getting into the driver's seat quickly. Izzy climbed into the backseat reluctantly.

"Eric," Red said, "you gotta warm that car up for at least ten minutes!"

"Oh, Eric's a good boy." Bernice said with a smile. "It's just a shame he doesn't have a better home life." She got in the car. "You know, Kitty, when I was raising children the right way-" Kitty cut her off by closing the car door mid-sentence.

Eric started the car up and pulled out of the driveway, leaving Red and Kitty alone, enjoying the newfound quiet. Izzy was instantly jealous of her parents, wishing she didn't have to come with Eric and Bernice.

-

The car ride was mostly silent. At one point, Eric went to turn on the radio. Soft music came out of the speakers, and Bernice immediately said, "Turn off that beatnik music." Eric sighed and turned it off, which made Bernice say "Watch the road!" Izzy sighed and sat sideways with her back against the window, putting her feet on the seats in front of her.

"You two don't like it when I come to visit." Bernice said.

"Yes, I do." Eric quickly responded.

"We really do, Grandma!"

"You're both filthy liars. You didn't learn to lie from my Red. That came from your mother."

"See, Grandma, that's the problem right there, okay? Every time you come to my house... you spend the whole day criticizing Izzy and my mom."

"I tell it like it is."

Izzy rolled her eyes and sat forward. "Okay, Grandma, then here's how it is. You're mean! And I don't see why you have to be so hateful, all I do for you is cook and sit there while you critique everything about my life."

"Yeah, Grandma, I don't think being nice for a whole day would kill you." At that moment, Bernice fell over onto Eric. "Grandma?" Eric hit the brakes. Bernice fell onto the dashboard, still not moving. "Grandma?"

"Oh, God."

-

Back at home, Izzy and Eric stood in the driveway, mindlessly and silently playing basketball. Eric took a shot, and Donna walked up, catching it with ease.

"Hey you two, what's up?"

"Just shooting some hoops." Eric said, taking the ball from her and continuing to play. He bounced the ball, and Donna tried to steal it, but it ended up bouncing away towards the Vista Cruiser.