40.

Today was the day of the bonfire, and I was a jittery mess of nerves.

Everyone who was going was excited for today, the volunteer staff had been planning this for ages, and so they all had an early day off today.

I had told Louis and Liam about Zayn's offer, and they had teased me to no end, but had decided to come along with us. I was both glad and not for them saying yes.

Glad, because I felt nervous about going alone with Zayn and of what impression that would give people there. I know no one will even notice, but that's just over-thinking me.

And so Louis and Liam and I were on our way in Zayn's car down to the beach right now, with Louis and Liam in the backseat of the car, and me in the passenger seat, trying hard not to ogle at how Zayn looked so unfairly hot while driving. He was dressed in a simple white printed t shirt, which was showing off his collar bones and wings tattoo.

He had his black rimmed glasses on today, and then there was plain old me, dressed in my only pair of skinnies with a rip on the knee and a plain white tee. Come to think of it, Zayn and I matched today.

There was a reason as to why almost the whole institute had been buzzing tonight, including the few students that were going. Sadly for them, you needed to have a volunteer invite you, otherwise you couldn't go, because of supervision issues.

We didn't get to go out so often. There were the very ocassional field trips, but now, this was something different. I had a feeling tonight will be different.

I wondered how Zayn would introduce me. Probably as his friend, which I didn't mind one bit. Because I know Zayn can't just say what he wanted to, because one, there would be volunteers and teachers there and two, I don't think we've even established ourselves, what we are yet.

I had pep talked myself that I won't have a problem with talking to other people there. Zayn will gladly be the, uh, translator. And well, I could lip read. Because my mother had never bothered to learn sign language for me, my dad had been the one to taught me it, both signing and lip reading, and I thank him to this day.

I just prayed my anti-social tendencies with new people don't show up as much as usual tonight, wiping my sweaty palms on my jeans as Zayn took the last turn after which the beach sprung up in view, my eyes taking in the beautiful sight of the waves crashing against the shore.

It was my ideal moment, to walk my the beach hand in hand with someone special. I couldn't imagine anyone but Zayn, who was the only person I shared my post-beach tranquility with.

Zayn parked the car and stepped out, me following his actions as Louis and Liam did the same, both giggling and shoving each other and in their own world. Louis then shot me an encouraging smile, Liam too, which I returned; grabbing Liam's hand, Louis pulled him towards the beach which was lit up, people everywhere, no doubt swaying to some music.

I pulled my jacket tighter around myself to fight the nervous chill that erupted in me and had nothing to do with the weather, weakly smiling back at Zayn as he walked over next to me, looking giddy.

Zayn rubbed his hand across my lower back in a comforting gesture as I relaxed into his touch.

Leading me across the parking lot and into the sandy beach, Zayn shot me another excited smile, pointing up at something. I followed his gaze, and grinned when I saw the hostel building, way up. So that's the place from where we admire the sea from, Zayn and I.

And now we're so close to the waves, Zayn signed with a smirk, and I laughed and nodded, goofily smiling at how I was thinking the exact same thing moments ago.