On My Mind

Emma was restless. It had been three months since she had been stuck indoors with no glimpse of the outside. Even Sirius got to leave on small missions. It's not that she couldn't go, it's just that she needed a companion...and anyone interesting was usually out on an assignment.

And then there was Remus who sometimes left for weeks at a time. While Remus hadn't explicitly told her where he'd be off to, she knew. Although there was no reason that she should care more for Remus than say for Sirius or even Kingsley, she couldn't help but worry. 

She had heard him whispering with Arthur and Moody after a meeting once about his assignment with the underground werewolves. Thinking back to that conversation, she entered the kitchen with a frown that morning.

It's not like anyone else could do it. You know he feels the need to be useful just like you do.

Remus looked up from his paper as Emma sat down with a huge sigh and started nibbling the biscuits on her plate. He had seen her get fidgety over the past few weeks. They also hadn't really been able to talk again without Sirius hovering. Not since their almost-kiss a few weeks ago. 

Sirius suspected something funny ever since he noticed that Emma would keep staring at him before blushing and rushing off to talk to someone else. Remus both liked and didn't like this. He liked that she appeared to be just as flustered by him as he was by her. But he disliked it because he wasn't sure how to make a move or even if he should given his furry condition.

"Knut for your thoughts?" Remus asked her.

She let out a heavy sigh. 

"Honestly, I might offer to take Sirius on a walk just to have something to do!" she said. She saw the sides of Remus' mouth twitch as if holding back a smile. 

"I might have a solution to that. One that doesn't involve any dog walking." He put down the paper and leaned over to her.

"I'm listening," she leaned over too a flush creeping up her neck as Remus spoke softly. 

"How about, say, we sneak out around dinner to grab a bite? Any place you'd like. I'm looking for a break from alternating between Sirius' terrible cooking and Molly's cholesterol ridden feasts," he was smiling at her.

Emma found that whenever it came to Remus asking her with a smile. Her resolve usually broke. Add that low-husky voice- she was floored.

"I'm in."

"Say in an hour? I'll set up a distraction."

"My my Mr Lupin. I'm starting to think that perhaps you were the real brains behind the Marauders I've been hearing so much about," she whispered back with a smirk. 

Blushing, he got up.

"Dress warm, love. I'll meet you at the front door. We'll need to make haste," he said. He tucked the paper under his arm and went upstairs to what she assumed was Sirius' room.

Her mind still reeling with the possibility of uninterrupted time with Remus she felt her mood lift.

It took a while to decide on something to wear that would both keep her warm and hopefully get Remus looking at her. Ugh! she couldn't believe that Sirius had actually caught her staring at Remus' completely snoggable lips. And then called her out on it in front of him no less. 

What must he think of me?!

Eventually deciding that she was happy with her outfit, she grabbed her purse and left the room.