Chapter 8- King of New York

POV Ciara

"Hey fellas!" a voice says.

I look up from my conversation with Jack and turn towards the door to see Denton displaying a newspaper to everyone. We are eating lunch at Tibby's where Denton asked us to meet him.

"Hey, hey, Bigtime." he continues smacking the paper in front of Jack.

I stand up from my seat and join the some of the other boys who crowd around the paper Denton gave to Jack. I stare at the paper and see me smiling proudly with Spot's arm around me.

"Hey, where's me picture? Where's me picture?" Spot asks standing up from his own table leaning over Jack's shoulder.

I scoff as Jack shoes him away. Couldn't King Cocky just be happy all of us made it in the papers and not just him?

"Hey, all of them woirds there, they all 'bout us?" Boots asks studying the paper curiously.

"Look, Jack. You look like a general or someone!" Mush adds excitedly.

"Would you get ya fingas off my face." Jack says swatting Mush's hand aside.

"Where does it say my name? Where's my name?" Spot continues to whine.

I roll my eyes.

"Quit thinkin about yourself." Jack and I say at the same time.

We look at each other and share a laugh. Spot rolls his eyes and continues to scan the words below our picture anxiously. More boys begin to crowd around Jack and the paper to see what all the chatter and fuss is about.

"So, what you get your picture in the papes? So, what's that get you, huh?" Skittery asks.

I to look up at Skittery confused at his dumb question. Racetrack stands beside him rolling his eyes at his remark.

I could practically read Race's expression. He looked like he was thinking Are you stupid or what?

"Hey, what are you talkin about?" Mush asks defensively.

"Hey, shut up! You've been in a bad mood all day!" Jack yells trying to enjoy his moment of fame.

"I'm not in a bad mood!" Skittery protests.

"Glum and dumb! What's da matta with you! You're in da papes your famous. You're famous you get anythin you want." Race says making his way around the table.

"And dats whats so great about New York!" he finishes slamming his fist onto the table.

He earns a few cheers from some of the boys in agreement. I smile cheering him on as well.

Mush takes a seat in an empty chair and stars to sing, "A pair of new shoes with matching laces,"

"A permanent box at da Sheepshead races." Race dreams excitedly.

"A porcelain tub wit bolin watah," Spot sings.

Who new he could sing and why was he actually on key?

"A Saturday night with da mayors daughter!" Blink exclaims.

Race jumps onto a table, stars tap dancing, and belts,

Look at me

I'm the King of New York!

Suddenly, I'm respectable

Staring right at'cha

Lousy with stature

Jack laughs at him and taking the paper and sings,