Chapter 25- The Power of Love

POV Ciara

Jack embraces Sarah into a long awaited passionate kiss and everyone erupts in cheers. Except for Davey who glances at them and looks away awkwardly.

I smile watching Davey, Les, Sarah, and Jack share a group hug. I catch myself looking around sheepishly for Spot wishing I could share a celebratory kiss with him.

Racetrack pats me on the shoulder and brings me into a side hug.

"Well, we's got everythin we's hoped for. We's won da strike, Jack got da goirl, yous got da boy, and now we's all one big happy family!" he smirks.

"One big happy family!" I repeat returning the grin.

A family I am so happy and lucky to be a part of.

"Hey Ciara!" a voice calls out.

I turn around to see Spot waving me over as he hangs out the side of Governor Roosevelt's carriage. I smile and hurry over to him.

I eagerly extend my hand to shake Roosevelt's. His eyes crinkle as he offers me a friendly smile.

"Ciara, it is very nice to meet you. I am giving your friend here a ride back to Brooklyn. I am glad you can join us!" Roosevelt says warmly.

"Thank you sir," I reply.

Spot and I wave to all the kids who came out to support the strike as we pass. I salute my friends as the carriage pulls out of the circulation station.

"Ciara, the working class and the working children of this city are extremely important to me and I want to hear all about you experience. I understand you recently immigrated from Ireland. Can you tell me the biggest difference between Ireland and America?" Roosevelt asks.

I would never of imagined a man with his social status and power to show so much care and interest towards the working kids of New York. I can already tell he is a really good guy.

"Opportunity. In Ireland it would be crazy for a girl to work a boys job. Here I am able to do it." I admit proudly.

Well, I haven't quite sold a paper yet, but soon! He nods at my answer, writes something down, and turns his attention to Spot.

"Now, Mr. Conlon. I understand you have been a newsboy for quite some time. What forced you to start working at such a young age?"

The carriage rounds the turn of the Brooklyn Bridge. I watch Spot fold his hands neatly in his lap before answering.

"My own ambition. I's know if I'm gonna ever do anythin in my life it will be cause I's woirked for it- and not cause it was handed ta me on a silver platta." Spot states.

Roosevelt smiles and continues to scribble quickly on his pad. He asks us a few more questions regarding the hours and how much money we make.

However, I have little input in those areas since I haven't sold a paper. Yet.

His carriage stops in front of Brooklyn's lodge house and unlike usual, the areas empty. All the boys are down in Manhattan and now probably working since the price is back where it belongs.

We thank the governor and head inside.

"So how bout dat?" Spot asks as we hike up the stairs.

"Crazy." I chuckle.

Spot opens the door to his room and I flop onto his bed dramatically.

"Listen, I know you're an excited teenage boy and I'm in your room and all, but I really need a nap. Unlike you, I am not used to staying up all night and then going through the next day like nothing happened."

He chuckles and brushes strands of my hair away from my face.

"I's guess da fun can wait." he dramatically sighs.

I grab a pillow from the head of his bed and smack him in the arm with it. He rips it from my hands and hits me with it.

"Dat was a gutsy move. Now yous gonna pay." he laughs.

"Well dat is my name." I mimic.

Spot leaps on top of me and tickles me. Being the spaz I am, I laugh uncontrollably and beg him to stop.

After minutes of his tortuous tickles, he rolls off me and plants a kiss on my forehead.

"Ya know princess, I's gotta say. There ain't no one like yous. I don't know what ya did ta me, but da way I's feel around ya... is something I's never felt before." he says.

I smile as I pull his blanket over me and stare into his twinkling eyes.

"Glad I could introduce you to the power of love." I grin.

"Love?"

"Love." I repeat.

I watch his face morph into a serious expression. He looks as if he is in deep thought or contemplation.

"Look, I know you're supposed to be big, scary, heartless Spot Conlon, but what you're feeling is something I feel too. It's the way we feel when we spend time together. A mix of excitement, nervousness, happiness, and correct me if I'm wrong but care. You said it yourself last night! You have feelings for me and I know I sure as hell care for you." I whisper.

He scooches his body closer to mine and places his soft lips on mine. He pulls away and gives me his classic crooked grin.

"Is it too early to say, Is breá liom tú?" [I love you in Irish] he whispers softly.

"Is breá liom tú, Sean." [I love you, Sean] I whisper back.

I snuggle up to his chest and fall into the most peaceful and relaxed sleep of my life.