Chapter 23- Brooklyn's Here

A/N Obviously, this number doesn't happen in the movie, but it felt so right to include it for this chapter and this scene :)

POV Ciara

Running on no hours of sleep, the boys and I head to newsies square after we spent all night and early morning passing out papers. Jack filled me in on everything that happened while I was locked up.

It made sense why Spot had said he wanted to kill Jack. But I know Jack would never go through with betraying the newsies- the newsies are his family. 

And I'm proud to say, I feel like I am a part of it.

However, it did make me worried that I haven't seen Spot yet. Specs told me that last night Spot was supposed to go to the other boroughs to get them all on board to protest today.

It's not that I don't trust Spot's word or commitment to the strike, but it's mid morning now and the only newsies we have are the Manhattan newsies. This is not looking too good.

"So when's da others comin, Kid?" Mush asks Blink.

I'm wondering the same thing pal. But Blink just shakes his head.

"They ain't comin. Ain't gonna be nobody but us." Jack sighs stepping forward to them.

I look at Davey and Sarah who respond with glum expressions. I guess all our hard work isn't going to pay off after all.

Les trudges over to Jack who embraces the small boy in a side hug. The poor kids spirit looks crushed.

"Have hope Jack!" Specs tries, but Jack stares blankly at him with defeat.

Les hurries away from our group and Race ,blows out a cloud of smoke as he follows him.

Les starts to sing, "When the circulation bell starts ringing, will we hear it?"

"Nah." Race says patting him on the shoulder.

Les smiles at him clearly enjoying the older boys support. Race takes off his hat to wipe the sweat off his forehead.

Race sings, "What if da Delancy's come out swingin? Will we hear it?"

"No!" Les answers proudly.

"Attaboy." Race tells him clapping him on the shoulder.

We all stand up and join them as we stare sadly at the empty streets. Race takes another drag from his cigarette before throwing it angrily on the ground to put it out.

Suddenly, I hear faint singing behind us and I tap Davey to turn around with me. The singing grows louder and the rest of the crew hears it too.

"Look!" Blink shouts pointing to the street straight ahead.

A marching band on bicycles head towards us with a stampede of singing children behind them. We all gasp at the beautiful sight of our supporters.

Herds of people start pouring out from different streets and filing into newsie square. Boys, girls, young, old, big, and small with their fists in the air and their voices loud.

"We did it!" I beam with tears coating my eyes.

We all cheer, jump, and hug each other as we celebrate our success. This is so crazy!

Race taps me to turn around and points to a new crowd coming around the corner of the street. Front and center leading the crowd was the king of Brooklyn himself, Spot Conlon, strutting proudly.

I smile at him as he yells, "Brooklyn!" to announce Brooklyn's entrance and arrival to the protest.

"The World will feel the fire. And finally know!" We all sing pumping our fists into the air.

The huge crowd erupts in cheers as Jack, Race, Mush, Blink, Davey, Sarah, Les and I push our way to the front. As we walk, people clap us on the back and high five us like we are superstars.

Spot sneaks up behind me and joins us at the front. He wraps his arms around my waist and hugs me tightly from behind.

"We did it." he whispers before kissing me on the cheek.

"Dear me, what have we here?" Race yells over the cheering to Jack.

We all turn to our gazes to Jack and stare at his shocked face. Snyder himself walks out of The World looking miserable as ever.

The police stand at his sides and scan the crowd carefully before picking out Jack and Davey. Jack and Davey exchange a glance but follow Snyder and the police into The World building.

We continue to chant and cheer together for a few more minutes eagerly awaiting their return. Several minutes later, the gates open and out walks Jack and Davey.

"Hey, fellas, they're over here. They're over here." Spot yells getting everyones attention.

Jack paces quickly through the crowd and over to our group.

"What'd they say, huh?" Race urges him.

We crowd around Jack eagerly waiting to hear the news. Instead, he says nothing to us and whispers something to Les.

We all exchange confused looks until Jack picks up Les and puts him on his shoulders and faces the crowd.

"We beat em!" the two of the yell.

Huge smiles spread across their faces as the crowd erupts with cheers. We all hug each other all over again while screaming our heads off excitedly.

We really did it.