Chapter 14- On The Grounds Of Brooklyn

POV Ciara

"All rise, all rise. Court is now in session. Judge E. A Monhan presiding." a man says.

"Are any of you represented by counsel?" the judge inquires sternly.

We all glance at each other in confusion. I'm standing at the front of the group next to Spot. Racetrack is on his other hip.

Somehow, we all made it out of the theater in one piece. Bruised. But in one piece.

"Gutsy, what's a counsel?"

"What's he talkin bout?"

"We ain't got no counsel."

The boys behind us murmur. I shake my head no at the judge.

"No? Good, good. That'll move things along considerably." the Judge continues.

Oh great, this should go real well. Spot looks at Race and then up at the judge.

"'Ey, your Honor, I object." he sneers.

Oh gosh, here we go. The judge folds his hands and leans forward a bit giving Spot a questioning stare.

"On what grounds?" the judges voice booms.

"On the grounds of Brooklyn, your Honor." Spot responds confidently.

Race starts laughing so hard he leans over Spot's shoulder so the judge can't see his face. The boys behind me start laughing too, but I know this is only going to get us in more trouble.

I elbow Spot in the side three times keeping my gaze on the judge. The judge bangs his gavel loudly and the boys stop laughing.

"I fine each of you $5 or two weeks confinement in the House of Refuge." the judge continues.

I don't need to look around to see all the smirks that definitely just disappeared. Spot's eyes get big and he looks like he's about to explode.

Race is shaking his head in disgust and complete shock.

"Whoa, whoa. Hey, hey, we ain't got 5 bucks. We don't even got 5 cents. Hey, your Honor, how 'bout I uh roll you for it? Double or nothin?" Race smirks.

Involuntarily, a chuckle slips out of my lips and I giggle along with the rest of the boys. Yeah, this definitely was not going to end well for us.

The judge bangs his gavel again and says, "Alright move along, move along."

"Your Honor, I'll pay the fines. All of them." a voice says.

We all turn around to see Denton with Davey and Les push through the jury doors.

"Hey fellas, you alright?" Davey asks.

We meet them at the fence separating us from the innocent.

"Where's Jack?" Davey asks quickly.

"Look, we gotta meet at the restaurant. Everybody. We need to talk." Denton interrupts.

The judge bangs his gavel signaling for the next case.

"Pay the clerk move along." the judge instructs Denton.

Denton drops a wad of cash in a dish. Jack walks in seconds later escorted by an officer.

"Hey fellas!" he laughs smugly.

Thank gosh he's ok. Leave it to Jack to treat a situation like this as if it is any other normal day.

"Hey, Cowboy, nice shiner!" Racetrack yells sticking out his tongue.

Him and Spot snicker loudly together before the judge bangs his gavel. Again.