Chapter 13- Panic

POV Ciara

I race up the lodge steps and into the bedroom. The boys are scrambling about to pull together nice clothes for Medda's show tonight.

Jack walks across the bedroom and into the bathroom fastening the red bandanna around his neck.

"Jack!" I say walking quickly towards him.

He turns around after hearing my voice and instantly smiles.

"Hey! What's up, Gutsy?"

"Nothing, really. I couldn't find you this morning I thought I was supposed to help you with the rally."

"Oh dats right. Sorry 'bout dat. I hung out with Sarah today. If you want, we can go over a few things before we leave." he tells me.

"I'd like that."

Even though I've never actually sold a paper, the strike was still very important to me. The fact that these boys are taking the initiative to stand up for what they believe in is truly inspiring.

I follow Jack over to his bunk and laying on his bed is box.

"Listen, I invited Sarah ta come with all of us ta Medda's tonight and I told 'er about ya. She offered ta lend ya dis dress. She's excited ta meet ya." Jack explains handing me the box.

I lift the lid to find a beautiful pale blue dress. It was the prettiest pieces of clothing I've ever seen! This girl hadn't even met me and already lent me such a gorgeous dress.

"Oh my gosh. Thank you so much. This is... this is... perfect." I stammer.

"Go get changed and I'll run my speech by you." Jack smiles.

I nod and rush to a bathroom stall to change. I slip out of my shirt, pants, and suspenders and slide on the soft fabric.

I rush out of the bathroom and back to Jack's bunk. He's on his bed scanning a paper with a bunch of scribbles on it. I give him a nod to begin his speech.

"So we've come a long way, but we ain't there yet. Maybe it's gonna get tougher and tougher from now on. You bums can't get lazy and slack off now-"

"Wait I think you should change that last part." I interject holding back a laugh. "You're trying to inspire everyone, not call them names."

Jack nods and crosses a line through a segment of the paper. He leans the paper against the wall and scribbles down something else.

"But dats fine, we'll just get tougher with it."

He looks up from his paper for my approval. I smile at him and nod.

"Much better."

**

The theater was absolutely packed! Newsies from all over New York had traveled with their boys to attend our rally.

I take a seat at a small round table next to Davey's sister Sarah. Davey, Jack, and Spot were else where getting ready to speak in a few minutes.

Tonight was going to open up with a few words of wisdom from the strike leaders and of course Spot Conlon. Then, it was going to followed by no other then Miss Medda Larkin's performance.

"Hi Sarah! I just wanted to thank you so much for the lovely dress you lent me. I'm Guts- uh, Ciara by the way." I say correcting myself.

It was my first time meeting Sarah and I didn't want to scare her off with a nickname like Gutsy

Sarah looks beautiful in her simple white dress. She even wore a cute hat to match it.

"Nice to meet you as well. I've been hearing all about you from Davey and even more from Jack. All good things. You can keep the dress- it looks better on you then it ever did on me."