Chapter 7

I arrived at the Whitshire farm before Samuel had, I was dressed in a nice long black skirt and a white button up top. My hair hung loosely in it's natural wavy state. I had just opened the door after talking to Miss Whitshire. 

"Father, how are you?" I asked. "Sorry I got here a little bit more sooner than expected. The Lord is funny that way." I took a step out, my flats hit the wood deck. "Beth Whitshire... this is my pastor's associate, our senior senior priest, Father Cheney." I say introducing them.

"Please accept our deepest condolences on behalf of the county diocese." Samuel said handing her what looked like a fruit cake.

"Miss Whitshire was just telling me all about Tom and how normal and ordinary things were on the day before his death." I explained.

"I see. So you didn't notice anything unusual, ma'am?" Samuel questioned.

"You mean like my husband's guts fertilizing the back 40?" Beth questioned instantly.

"Excuse me." I say quietly, I walked down the steps. I found Mary talking to the son of the family.

"Charlie, would you like to tell my associate here what you just told me?" Mary asked. I gave the young boy a kind smile as his eyes shifted from Mary to me.

"Dad drank sometimes. Sometimes he got rough with mom." Charlie said.

"And that's when the stranger came?" Mary asked.

"I just thought he was some bible-thumper, like you-all. He showed up about a week ago."

"Saying what?" I asked.

"Did I want the beatings to stop? I just thought he was crazy. I didn't think-- and the next thing I know, dad's dead. Am I going to jail?" Charlie said.

"You didn't do this, Charlie." Mary said, trying to comfort him.

"Did the stranger want something in return?" I asked him.

"He didn't want anything." Charlie said.

"Come on, Charlie. He wasn't just handing out freebies, now, was he?" I say trying to get an answer out of the kid.

"He did say something about coming a-calling 10 years from now and maybe he'd want something then." My smile started to drop a little as he spoke.

"Something like what?" I asked.

"I don't know, okay? Look, I told you he was nuts." Charlie said. Mary looked at me, she placed a hand on my back leading me away.

"What do you think?" Mom asked.

"I think he just pimped his soul to a demon, and he doesn't even know it." I responded, we walked back over to Charlie.

"Charlie, do you remember what the stranger looked like?" Mom asked.

"Yeah, uh... He's about 5'10... white. He was kind of normal-looking, really." Charlie said.

"Anything else?" Mom asked.

"There was one thing."

"What?" I asked.

"It's just, the light hit his eyes in a weird way, and... for a moment, I could have sworn--"

"What, that they were black? Or red, maybe?" I asked.

"No. They were yellow." He said. "Pale yellow." I looked at mom, I knew exactly why Castiel sent me here.

      Later I was back at the Campbell household, I had explained everything to Samuel and mom the best that I could, I was in the process of laying down a map.