Chapter 16

We arrived in a small town, there was a death, the guy's name was Luke Wallace. I walked around the kitchen area a little to see if I could find something out of place, a hex bag, or even the smell of sulfur lingering around as Sam distracted Luke's wife with questions.

"The candy was never in the oven." I heard the wife say, I turned my head and saw Dean looking in the oven.

"We just have to be thorough, Mrs. Wallace." Dean said to her.

"Did the police find any razors in the rest of the candy?" Sam questioned taking her attention off of Dean.

"No. I mean, I don't know. I don't think so." Mrs. Wallace said. I was over by the fridge looking around, I felt Dean nudge me slightly, my eyes turned to him as he nodded to the floor, I looked down and saw skid marks on the floor, like the fridge had been moved. I squatted down and reached behind the fridge, my hand came into contact with something, I pulled it out and saw a hex bag. I looked up at Dean and showed him the bag before turning to Sam, his eyes moved over to us for a second, I showed him the hex bag. I placed the hex bag in my pocket, hiding it from Mrs. Wallace.

"Mrs. Wallace, did Luke have any enemies?" Sam questioned.

"Enemies?" She questioned back.

"Anyone who might have held a grudge against him?" Sam continued on.

"What do you mean?" She was very offended by this.

"Co-workers. Neighbors. Maybe a woman."

"Are you suggesting an affair?"

"Is it possible?"

"No! No, Luke would nev--" She looked away from Sam, I could see tears in her eyes.

"I'm very sorry. We just have to consider all possibilities." Sam said lightly, trying to ease her discomfort.

"If someone wanted to kill my husband, don't you think they'd find a better way than a razor in a piece of candy he might eat?" Mrs. Wallace hissed, Sam looked over at us. Soon enough we took our leave saying our goodbyes.

       Later on, we were in our normal clothing, Sam and I sat on the couch, looking up what was in the hex bag. I was flipping through books looking at the herbs. The door opens and slams shut as Dean enters the room.

"Really?" Sam questioned as we looked over at Dean, he was eating candy like it was nothing. "After that guy chokes down all those razor blades?"

"It's Halloween, guys." Dean said as he walked towards us.

"Yeah. For us, every day is Halloween." I say with a small chuckle.

"Don't be a downer. Anything interesting?" Dean questioned changing the subject as he took a seat on the arm of the couch.

"Well, we're on a witch-hunt, that's for sure. But this isn't your typical hex bag." Sam said as we all looked at the hex bag.

"Hmm. No?"

"Gold thread-- an herb that's been extinct for 200 years. And this is Celtic, and we aren't talking about some new age knock-off. Looks like the real deal-- like 600-years-old real. And uh---" I trail off to look up at Dean, he smelled a part of the hex bag. "That is the charred metacarpal bone of a newborn baby." I finish off.

"Oh, gross." Dean muttered, putting the bone down.

"Relax, man. It's, like, at least 100 years old." I muttered while picking up the bone.

"Oh, right, like that makes it better? Witches, man. They're so freaking skeevy." Dean shivered lightly as he spoke.

"Yeah. Well, it takes a pretty powerful one to put a bag like this together. More juice than we've ever dealt with before, that's for sure." Sam said. "What about you-- Find anything on the victim?"