Chapter 28

Our next case we were in Sioux City, Iowa. It was what they call magic week, which means that people that perform magic tricks show up to show what they are made of. We were dressed in our FBI uniforms, I was wearing pants with time around since it was on the chill side. There was a guy that had died with marks like he was impaled with spikes. He was found laying on the sidewalk. My heels clicked on the concrete and walked up on a guy doing a magic trick.

"This isn't a trick, okay? I-I-I don't do tricks. This is a demonstration about demons and angels, love and lust..." The guy spoke, I raised an eyebrow as I listened to him.

"What a douchebag." Dean commented.

"....All that stuff mixed up in my head." We stopped in front of him, I stood in front of my brothers.

"That's Jeb Dexter." Sam said, I made a confused face, as I turned my head to look up at him.

"I don't even want to know how you know that." Dean said, shaking his head slightly.

"He's famous... Kind of."

"For what, douchebaggery?" I rolled my eyes at Dean's comment. I watched as he performed his act. He started grunting, I cleared my throat lightly trying to keep myself from laughing, I turned to turn my body so I didn't laugh.

"Back to hell, demon!" He yelled, I turned my head to see all the cards fall out of his hand and one sticking to the glass, or I guess on the other side of the glass.

"Oh, you gotta be kidding me. A fake demon possession?" Dean questioned. We began to walk away from the crowd. "I can't believe people actually fall for that crap."

"It's not all crap." Sam defended. I sighed lightly.

"What part of that was not a steaming pile of B.S?"

"Okay that was crap, but that's not all magicians. It takes skill."

"Oh, right. Right. I forgot. You were actually into this stuff, weren't you? I mean, you had-- You had, like, a deck of cars and a wand." Dean said picking fun at Sam.

"Dean, leave him alone. Everyone had their own obsessions when they were young." I say elbowing his side lightly.

"Dude, I was 13. It was a phase." Sam said standing up for himself.

"Just-- It bugs me. Actually it offends me. You know, playing at demons and magic, when the real thing will kill you bloody." Dean said, I sighed lightly. I mean he did have a point but this was all fun and games.

"Like a guy who drops dead of 10 stab wounds without a single tear in his shirt?" Sam questions.

"That's what I'm talking about." Dean said then we continued walking to the women who worked with the man.

      We stood in the girls motel room as she packed up her stuff, I watched her carefully as she did, she didn't really seem all that upset about it.

"So, did your boss have any enemies that you know of?" Dean questioned the women.

"Vance had plenty of enemies." She said with a small smile, she reached down and pulled out a line of colorful scarves from a bag.

"How so?" Sam questioned.

"He would steal from other magicians... All the time."

"What would he steal?" I asked watching her fold up the scarves, as I spoke I watched the scarves being pulled from the bag, it was a pretty long line.

"Stage effects, closeup techniques-- Anything he could get his hands on."

"Is that enough to get him killed?" Dean questioned farther.