Chapter 18 - Mind (EDITED)

[MARCO'S POV]

Dusting up from when I had fallen face first into the ground after Tom and I entered the portal, I look around the deserted place, a chilly feeling rising up my spine.

"So, this is the place, right?" Tom murmurs beside me, and a shoot him a look, remembering how he fell right on top of me despite going inside the portal first. He shrugs, "Hey, it's not my fault. Plus, I work out, I'm not that heavy."

I raise a brow, "You? Work out? Oh please."

"You got me there." He rolls his eyes, "But I seriously don't weigh that much."

"Yeah try saying that after I try falling on top of you, the amount of gravity almost crushed my ribs!"

"Cry about it."

I fume as Tom sticks his tongue out, opening my mouth to throw back a sassy remark but instead the grin falls off Tom's face and his eyes focus on something else — something behind me.

I gasp out as soon as I turn around, I wouldn't miss the jet black hair and flashy edgy clothes even from a mile away. "Camille?"

Tom gapes at me, moving closer to whisper in my ear, "That's Camille? She looks so much like..."

Star. I wave him off, "Yeah, my first thought too."

"She's nice right?"

"Yeah, she can be pretty annoying, but she's really cool sometimes. Hey Cam!-"

"Marco Ulbado Diaz." Camille says, a sly smile on her face as her eyes glow purple, wafts of light floating around her in the same color.

Would you look at that, I wasn't dreaming when I saw her do that whole crazy purple power move! Good to know. But in unrelated news, what the hell is going on?

"Did she just call you by your full name? Is that a thing between you two? Also why is she glowing?"

I shake my head, dread suddenly filling me up from the inside, my body instinctively going on defense mode, "No.... everybody knows only villains do full na— RUN!"

By the skin of my teeth, I manage to jump out and push Tom with me from the sudden burst of explosive purple energy Camille throws at us, hurtling behind a conveniently placed rock a few inches from where we stood.

"Uhh..Marco? You said she was your friend? Shouldn't she be friendly?"

"She is!" I insist, mostly to myself than to Tom, really because right now, she doesn't seem to be the Camille I know.

"Well she doesn't seem very friendly to me!"

"I—" Before I could finish my sentence, the rock we were hiding behind suddenly bursts into pieces, exposing us to her preying eyes.

"Dude, your gf is going psycho crazy on us!" Tom shouts, dodging an attack and firing a counter that narrowly misses by a few.

"First of all, she's not my girlfriend. Second—" I jump away from the one thrown in my way, "I don't think that's Camille."

"Oh okay, so we can just leave—"

I grab Tom before he could reach for his dimensional scissors, "No! I mean, she might be under the influence of something!"

"Camille does drugs?"

I couldn't helo but facepalm despite the situation we are in. "No. I mean, like, mind control or something."

Tom swiftly blocks the blows using a fire wall, buying us a bit of time. "Ok mind control, then who's controlling her?"

Then it clicks. There is the only demon here powerful enough to control Camille and maybe the fact that they're...related as it seems, he is able to manipulate her into doing as he says. "Toffee."