CHAPTER III: [How dare you?]

She stepped back so I could enter in the house. And it wasn't better than I thought. -or worse- Maybe they just can't afford a nice clean house?

"Please sit down. Sorry for the mess, times are tough financially..." she said, looking at the broken wooden floor.

I saw she had scars on her neck, like... claws? She noticed my inquisitive gaze and immediately tightened her scarf to hide the marks.

"So!... where are your parents? What's a middle-class girl doing alone in the alleys late at night?"

I focused on our discussion.
"I lost my parents... this morning"
I explained the situation to this lady. Maybe she could help me?

"Oh, I see, my poor girl! I'm gonna go get what my son stole from you. I'm really sorry. I thought that he got that money by working... I'll be right back."

She got up and went upstairs. I was alone in the living room. There was a small table and a stool. A bucket of potatoes was placed on the table, including a few peeled potatoes. She was probably preparing dinner.

Above the filthy fireplace there was a photo and some candles. In the photo, a bearded man was standing with a woman holding a baby in her arms.
A family photo? They can afford to buy a photo but not some food?

I heard someone coming down the stairs. I immediately went to sit down. It was the beautiful lady and... a young boy, probably the same age as me. He was blond and had beautiful cat eyes. His gaze was piercing... the color of his eyes was amber. So pretty...
I recognized his shirt. And my memories came back.
IT WAS HIM!
The dirty rat who stole me!

My thoughts were interrupted by his mother.
"What have I told you thousands of times, Dio?! We must not steal! It's bad! Especially a girl! Ask forgiveness!"

He stopped down the stairs and frowned with anger:
"You... You rich bastard... You followed me secretly! Aren't you ashamed to come to claim money from poor people?" He said, staring at me with anger.

WHAT?! Why does he react like this? He is the thief and I AM the victim!

His mother caught him by his ear.
"Stop! I said: apologize to her immediately! Don't embarrass me like -you know who- please!"

He violently pushed back his mother's hand and answered with a sigh. "I'm not sorry for what I did, it was for you, mum." He threw the wallet on the floor, staring at me and walking away.

"I'm really sorry about this incident..." she said, picking up the wallet and returning it to me.

~~~
Your belly suddenly growled like a dinosaur. It was very embarrassing because it was really a shame in rich families to hear his belly screaming. You decided to get up -nervously- and thank the lady for scolding her son.
You put away your wallet and walked to the door.
"Thank you, ma'am, for your help."

"It's nothing, I gave you back what belonged to you."

You smiled to her and left the house.