Chapter 34

I picked up one of the few woods before turning around to say something to Alec. I found his back turned to me as he continued getting more woods. I kept silent for a while before going back to get more.

Again after a minute I looked back and sighed, "Alec?" I finally called him.

He hummed in response but kept his back turned to me as he continued doing his work.

"Thanks." I said going towards him. Thanks for taking me away from there. Thanks for bringing me out here in peace where I could get some fresh air. Where I could think straight.

I could see his muscles tense as he turned around slowly and passed me a smile, "I had my reasons."

I smiled back at him before nodding and going back to my place. He hasn't been talking much. For all I can say he had been silent since he took me away from there. But I knew that he genuinely wanted to help me.

I couldn't help but look up and gaze in awe at the stars. You don't see these many stars in the cities. And seeing these many right now made me feel so close to them. I wanted to be there in between them. Looking pretty. So that whenever someone tilted their head up to look at us they were filled with happiness, warmth. They felt good. And I want to be someone who makes people feel good about themselves. Just like these stars.

I didn't even hear footsteps approach me until I heard his voice from beside me, "It's beautiful, isn't it?"

I looked at Alec beside me and found him staring at the sky with a smile on his face. I went back to gazing up at the sky as I agreed with him.

Indeed it was.

We both were quiet. No one even saying a word. Just side by side. Gazing at the stars. Together.

I could see him slowly turning his head towards me and staring at me. I cleared my throat as I said, "The stars are up in the sky."

I heard him chuckle as he said, "I know. But I find them more beautiful while seeing them through your eyes."

I felt my heart leap as I heard him say that. But I kept my gaze stable up on the stars as I thought of what to say to that. I didn't know. I was speechless.

"I-I'll check out there if I can find more of these." I said referring to the woods and went in another direction.

He didn't come behind me or followed me as I went away from him.

Did I feel bad for leaving him back there alone? Yes, I did. But I knew for a fact that if I stayed there I would have led him on. And that is the last thing I want to do to him. I don't want to hurt him.

I kept walking and went wherever my legs took me. I don't know for how long I walked. I didn't realize how far I came as I continued walking away in another direction.

Finally I stopped and turned the torch in my hand in different directions as I tried to figure my way.

I was far away from where the tents were set up because I couldn't hear anything. Only crickets chirping around me.

I turned off the torch in my hand. It was pitch black. I couldn't see anything. Dang it, I think I came too far away into the forest. I turned back and switched my torch back on as I tried to trace my way back.

I don't want to become some animal's meal today. Heck what am I talking about? I don't want to become some animal's meal ever.

I tried to walk back the way I came. I don't know if I was going in right direction or not. I stopped when I saw two ways...one going to the left and the other one to the right.