Convergence

Max was given a power to go back and correct mistakes; a 'rewind' power, she called it. Early on, she tested it by not only fixing things for the better, but by making herself seem smarter, cooler, and more popular. It made her sick to her stomach thinking about that time; she felt naïve and ignorant to be so careless.

According to her phone's calendar, that time was only about a week ago. It seemed like several lifetimes had passed between then and now, and she vowed to never manipulate time again without a specific purpose.

The only thing that mattered to the photographer in that moment, was the past and the future. She no longer cared about the present. As she came to this realization, a gorgeous blue butterfly landed on her best friend's casket.

Below her moist, irritated eyes, she couldn't control the muscles in her face, as a smile was tightening the skin on her cheeks, peeking through her slightly chapped lips. The only two thoughts that ran through her mind were the kiss they shared in her friend's final moments, and the word "destiny."

She would be facing a much different outcome had she not listened to the girl who begged her to photo-jump, once more, in order to save the town from a disastrous storm, sacrificing her best friend in the process. This best friend, who was Max's favorite person she'd ever met, in a most selfless act, gave up her life for others. She absolutely considered Chloe Price a hero.

Max knew a little bit about bugs, and she had seen this particular insect once before. Was it a morpho, an adonis, a monarch, or maybe a hairstreak? It didn't matter. She knew what it meant.

It was blue and reminded her of Chloe, who emerged as so much more than just a friend during the previous week. She definitely didn't deserve to be murdered, bleeding out on the Blackwell restroom floor after being shot. If nothing else, Chloe at least earned a much better death because of her sacrifice. She was way too special to Max to end this shitty way. Despite her current circumstance, Max believed she still had an opportunity to save her. She had to try.

Wanting to be certain about what she wanted to attempt, she didn't rush to do it immediately. She knew she was going to do it soon, she just wasn't sure exactly when. The timing needed to be absolutely perfect. She didn't want to fuck things up more than she already had. This time, she would wait for a sign from the universe. This time, things would be different.

The week following the funeral was fall break at Blackwell, and Max wanted to be back around her family for the time being. She desired to get the hell out of Arcadia Bay and live with her parents, so she used the last of her birthday money to hop on a bus with a destination for Seattle.

The choice was not easy at the end. Sacrificing her best friend, saving her hometown and everyone in it, or letting the storm decimate Arcadia Bay, saving the one person who meant more to her than her own life. It wasn't as difficult a decision as it might have been for anyone else, but the only thing that mattered to Max, was the present – not the future, not the past. She wanted to be with Chloe, and she didn't want to live in a world without her best friend. That world was too dark for her and she thought she understood why; she was in love... maybe. She didn't even know if Chloe felt the same way, all she knew was what her heart was telling her. Having saved the girl's life numerous times already, she was prepared to save her again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And as many times as necessary.

After watching the storm destroy what they assumed was everyone and everything in the Arcadia Bay area, Max and Chloe hopped in the old, beater of a truck and left town, never looking back. They didn't know where they were going. They simply... left.