Game on

I got my manager to extend the period, since I told him I had a plan, a solid plan. I can be very convincing, well not like I lied or something. My tutoring classes began, this time I had three more learners, great how you can be kind while making cash. I was mad because I had to make some of the kids lunch, since my aunt wasn’t around. She’s out on a girls’ day out or something.

I made them sandwiches and others ate whatever their parents gave them. “Eew.” Zaheed screeched. It was probably nothing. “No, he’s too old for you. Gross.” No way, now a fourth grader has a crush on me. “I just think he’s cute and has nice hair.” The friend explained. This made me think about Scarlet. I needed her to respond to my tactics soon.

I might have a plan. I wasn’t going to let “that guy” have her. Surprisingly she’d texted “hi”. “Hey, you good?” I texted back. I went offline for a while to finish off my lessons and mark. An hour later, parents came for the last kid. She enjoyed her time with Zaheed.

“Yeah and you?” Scarlet asked. “I’m sorry I was rude the other day.” She’s apologising? I’ve sort of gotten what I wanted. “I didn’t even notice.” I say trying to comfort her. “Anyway…” she says, moved on fast. “If you’d like to make a music video, I can put in a word with 9am Records. They’re not signing but it’s something.” Wow, she comes with tons of opportunities. “Only if you dance in it.” I reply smoothing her over. “Uh, okay, send me your number, email and links to your music.” That’s the last text I got from her and hadn’t replied.

I looked up the label and they were pretty good, how she’s connected to them? I don’t know. Maybe she was lying, doubting her already? I checked her profile; she’d reached five thousand followers and she was tagged in 9am Records’ posts. Her dance career looked promising.

I sent her my information. If the record label liked my music, I’d be featured on so many platforms and my music would be gotten to pay a lot more racks. I’d even be able to perform at live events.

*****

We were walking to school, it was a cold morning, and the sky was showing signs of rain approaching. Scarlet was surprisingly quiet; she didn't talk much. She only spoke when I asked her questions and she was elaborating and vice versa. “Are you signed to anyone at the moment?” she asked. “Yeah, a temporary manager.” She was quiet for a moment, “Any contracts?”

“Yeah, short term though.” I replied, I never thought we’d be having this conversation. “Okay send me his contacts as well when you get the chance.”

I nodded. This was more than I bargained for. Her friends were staring and she smiled as we walked past them. We were randomly walking, with no destination in mind.

The school bell rang, but everyone was static. “Hey, Scarlet. Let’s go to class. Sup bro.” The guy from the tap said to her. “Hey.” I say and we both look at Scarlet. “Bye, and don’t forget.” I won’t and she walks away with the guy. She seemed passive unable to say “no”, just goes with the flow. The best thing I can ask for is a shoutout.

I got home and spoke to my manger then sent his contacts. I also ask for a shoutout and Scarlet agrees. My manager doesn’t bother me about followers because of the climax reached. I do get some new followers.

*****

An unknown number calls me and I’m not reluctant to answer, since it may be 9am. It is! Excitement rushes through my body. “We met your manager.” the lady says, “Your contract doesn’t allow you to take this opportunity and your manager doesn’t want you to terminate the contract.” I was disappointed.

“Okay, I understand” I mumbled. The call ended and I texted my manger.

“Jou tannie said I shouldn’t let you terminate the contract.”

I was mad. She took away my lifetime opportunity. How could she? She was standing in the doorway, “It couldn’t fit in your schedule, and I want to see change in your marks before I let you do this.” I didn’t respond and she left. I could be upset. Could I?

*****

At school I met up with Scarlet during break. “Any news?” she asked with innocence in her voice. I was angry, but it wasn’t her fault. “No.” I say. She saddens. “I’m sorry. I’ll tell you if something comes up.” I look at her and give her a hug. She wasn’t expecting it, neither was I. What did I just do? I felt safe, I felt comfortable, that’s just the hormones talking. Did I just say HORMONES!? What is she doing to me? Did she feel something?