New heights

We had only two weeks left before mid-year exams and I was preparing. For the first time, ever, Jay called me. It was a surprise and I wasn't sure if it was, important or casual. We weren't dating but we were closer. Honestly, I didn't want to get attached because he was going to leave and then things would just be sort of complicated. "You got plans on Saturday?" he asked. "Not yet, why?" I answered, curious to know what he had in mind. "Let's go to a pre-exam outing." he says, excitement rushes through my static body. "Where?" I enquire. "It's a surprise." he describes.

"I'll keep you updated on my schedule." I close off.

I felt like it was sweet goodbye gesture. I clarified with my associations to make sure, I don't double book. It seemed I was safe; I just needed to speak to Tracy. "Are we doing anything Saturday." I texted. She texted back seconds later, "Great I wanted to talk to you about that, we need to fix the lyrics." I made a plan. "I'll come over Friday or Sunday." I explain. She responded, "Friday, because I have plans on Sunday." That was easier than I thought.

*****

"...change this to smart, it's shorter." I say to Tracy. It was Friday, been long waiting. The week wasn't very short. I didn't get any time to talk to Jay, he had afterschool classes and we always missed each other during school. "So what you doing tomorrow, and don't lie." finally, Tracy, asked. "Not much." I say, trying to be subtle.

"Well, Jay begs to differ." she says, showing me her phone. I hadn't been online all week since I wanted to make sure I didn't have work over the weekend. "TAKING SCARLET OUT, DON'T ASK WHERE, IT'S A SURPRISE!!" It was posted on Instagram; I was glad he didn't disclose the location. It was a weird move but I didn't take it to heart. "Where you going?" Tracy asked. I replied with sincerity, "I honestly don't know, he said it's a surprise."

I left her house at around seven at night. It was actually fun, I'm always eager to go to her house, just as eager as I was to go out with Jay. Since I didn't know where he was taking me I couldn't pick out clothes. He texted me right when I was outside my house. "Wear a nice pair of pants, not to tight not too loose and a nice top not too tight not too loose. Be comfortable, and hopefully you won't need a jacket, depends on the weather." he went offline, after sending me the text. He's taking me to the movies, isn't he? I could only guess.

I drove to the mall; my family was going there anyway so I just tagged along. I was going to wait for Jay there. "You're lucky we're allowing you to go." my dad said. I just looked at him and said nothing. They left me at the entrance and went inside. Jay called me and I told him where I was standing. He was driving, a nice maroon medium sized car. I entered and the car smelled good, with a cherry blossom scent. The air was so fresh, since the windows were opened.

"How are you?" Jay asked, his eyes on the road. "I'm alright and yourself." I enquire watching him drive. "I feel great." He smiled turning to me. "There are drinks in the back." He indicates. There sits a blue cooler box and I grab myself sparkling juice, my favourite. I try to drink but that's hard with the car moving.

He looks good, in his black T-shirt and navy-blue jeans. We finally arrive at our destination. He takes his drink and hands me another one. "We'll get food inside." he said, as we walked away from the parking lot. He ultimately takes a good look at me and smiles. I was dressed for the occasion; he took me to the carnival. It has rides, snacks, people and entertainment.

"I want to take you on that rollercoaster." It's super high and has so many loops and curves. I look at him, with a little disbelief. "Cool." I say and we get something to eat. I decided to do other things before taking our ride. "Let's do karaoke." he offered.

I wasn't afraid to perform in public but I hated it, however, I agreed. I'm not a great singer but the auto tune made me sound something close to an angel. He did too, we were in sync. I enjoyed that experience. We took a photo, for karaoke masters and they put it up. "Let's go to the photo booth." he attested. He connected his phone and they'd automatically be saved there.

I was holding his hand, thrill filling my body. The wind contacting my skin, making me cold. My eyes were closed but I opened them and cheered on the rollercoaster ride. I felt relaxed when I looked him in the eye. We were both happy. I was glad I'd chosen to do this. It didn't feel like a dream anymore, but a beautiful reality. I was dizzy when we came off the ride and he walked me into the cinema.

We were watching something, I didn't know. "Are you better now?" he asked, care on his face. "I just need to sit down." I told him. "I'll get you some snacks and water." He offers leaving me on my seat. He leaves and comes back with a handful of stuff. He hands me the water first and I drink.

The movie starts, I lay my head on him, fallen half asleep. I have popcorn and watch the film. "Where is this going?" a character asks. "I don't know, where will you be, this time next year? You'll be gone." I whispered. I had no control of my tongue. Jay looked at me and I glare back at him. He came in for a kiss, and I didn't resist.