Prom

It's a day before prom and we're walking into Bed of Roses to get our outfits. Somehow he convinced my parents to let him go with me. I was excited and so were my parents and his aunt. I went to the ladys' changing room and him to the males'. I'm looking at myself in the mirror. I feel like a woman. We show our family the outfits; I look at him with a smile. "You look beautiful." He says. My mom and his aunt start viewing my dress and telling me to twirl. My hair, nails and my makeup would be done hours before the dance.

*****

I was woken up by my mother at eight in the morning; I'd been enjoying the warmth of my blanket and didn't want to leave bed. When I went to eat breakfast, the stylist was sitting on the couch. I was surprised, why we were doing things so early; prom was at 5-6pm. "Go bath, sweetheart." Lorraine says.

I'm putting on my lotion and Jay calls. "...so there's been a change of plans, I'll meet you at the dance because we might not be done at the same time." He chuckles, seeing as I'm only wrapped in a towel. "Your timing is bad, you video call when I'm..." I'm interrupted. "Scarlet!" mom screams.

"Later! Bye!" I hang up and get to my endeavours.

"Your nails are going to take three hours and your make-up an hour and a half, then hair two hours." Lorraine says. I'd probably get to prom later in the evening. I have on a robe and under it my outfit.

"How'll you walk in these shoes? They are so high."

My parents got me a pair of high-heels, as agreed by them and Jay. They were a beautiful pair of black pencil-high-heels, with cross belts. How many people are able to say, I went to two proms? I wonder who was going to my date for my second one when I became a senior.

My nails were done and they were looking fabulous! They had black and white decor and some had studs on them. My makeup wasn't going to be overpowering just a natural look with a little detail. I was going to freeze my hair and get a pony tail, plaited with gold strings.

My ears weren't pierced so I didn't wear earrings. I went and looked in the mirror; I looked dazzling, spectacular, I was blissful. I was picture perfect; I couldn't wait to meet Jay. I was really thrilled about the day, hoping that it would be as much fun as I dreamt the previous night. I came out of my room and I was on the spotlight.

My mom looked so jubilant. Lorraine was proud of her work. My dad had just come in and he was blown away. The photographer was walking in but stopped at the door. He took the first picture then everyone else got their phones out. They were all throwing in compliments from all directions.

"At least for once you look nice." My annoying little brother said. I rolled my eyes and smiled as we left for the driveway. My parents drove me and left me and the photographer outside the venue, but not before one last picture with my family. I poised for a few pictures at the entrance.

I walk in and all eyes are on me, in my purple dress and black heels. My figure was appealing because I had on a violet corset that made the dress tight, but beautiful. I took a deep breath and saw Jay. My heart skipped a beat and I walked over to the photo booth. My photographer had been waiting for me. "Where's, Jay?" he enquired. "Not here yet." I lied looking directly at Jay. "You look beautiful tonight." He said.

"Thank you."

He told me how to poise, "Show your nails, put your hand on your cheek then your other on your thigh, beautiful." Couples were coming to get their pictures taken and I took a drink and went outside, not alcohol, they didn't have any. The learners approached me with compliments.

I went outside and breathed. I took my phone out of my bag and looked at the time; it was close to six-thirty. "He's not coming, I told the photographer." We left and he drove me. "That's a beautiful rose bush, I'm pulling over, and we'll get some nice pictures there."

I smiled gracefully. I was heartbroken. I couldn't undo anything, or unsee what I'd seen. Nothing could make it better, maybe a tight hug from my hot photographer, I can't even cry, because I don't want to ruin my makeup. "I can see you're not okay." He said, he isn't very old, maybe he's doing his first year. He put me in his arms, the sun set as my heart sunk. We sat in the car, in silence, observing the red night. As the sun went to bed and made way for other stars to shine, we drive home. I had no idea what I was going to tell my parents, I'll just say I feel sick.

"Bye, Scarlet." The photographer says. "Please come with me." I plead. He walks in with me; my parents and Lorraine are surprised at my arrival. "I'm not feeling too well." I lie, for the second time this day. Why do I cover up everything with a lie? I leave for my room and lie on my bed. I get up after thirty minutes. I love being tired; it immediately puts you into deep sleep. I realise that I hadn't taken off this beautiful outfit that went to waste.

The photographer 's still here, sitting on the couch, watching TV with my parents and Lorraine. "Great, she's up." My dad comments. They're dressed up. It's seven-twenty. I take a seat on the couch. Mom got up to turn off the TV. I rolled my eyes, not unsure of what's occurring. Everyone gets up and my mom signals for me to follow as she locked up. Nicholas (photographer), my brother and I drive behind my parents and Lorraine, who are in our black car. "Where are we going Nikko?" I ask. He looks at me and smiles, which irritates me. "Cover your eyes with this." He hands me a black piece of material and I cover my eyes. After a while the car is static. Nikko opens my door and helps me out.

The room is filled with neon lights and I'm getting my skating shoes. "Happy birthday." Everyone shouts as I internally scream. "Since today was prom we decided we'd make your day even better give you an early birthday surprise." Mom explains. I beam, looking at my wasted prom outfit. Lorraine hands me a ribbon written "happy birthday". That actually made me feels better. I'm trying not to fall over. Ice-skating is HARD, just like the floor I hit. "I think it's the dress." Nikko says and takes my hand.

I'm in the lady's room changing into something more comfortable that my parents had gotten me. I get out and Nikko starts taking picture. "Do you carry that around everywhere you go?" I ask. "No, only when there's a beautiful birthday girl around." That sentence sounded a bit creepy, but whatever. I see my brother, Sean on the floor and burst into laughter. I'm feeling more comfortable skating. "Doing better!" Nikko comments. I chuckle and we continue.

What a great night!

Can you guess why Scarlet left so early from prom?