Chapter 3

Virgil's POV

The day of the break-in is generally uneventful; Remus almost sets the kitchen on fire, Janus attempts to get some work done, and I avoid them whenever possible. Remus bursts into my room, "Wassup mother trucker! Janus wants to go over the plan," He says, leaving before I can respond. Great, I get to endanger my life for the fifth time this week! Or is this the sixth? Anyway, I head into the main part of the warehouse towards Janus's 'workshop' in the corner.

"Alright, Remus and I are going to attack Element Industries, we've already talked about that part of the plan," Janus starts, "You, Anx, are going to Gladeco. Your best bet of entering without triggering any alarms is going to be through the fourth floor window. Specifically, the window second closest to the back on the west side, Dr. Picani's lab," He explains, pointing to various parts of the building's blueprints. "As far as I can tell, it's the only room without security cameras, and Dr. Picani also has access to the avandium."

"Got it," I say, ready to just get out of here.

"No, you don't, not entirely. If the heroes show up, I want you to use your powers to get out of there. You are-" He starts, before Remus interrupts him.

"So don't pull any pussy sh!t and just run away, at least try to kick their a$$es or something," He says, sounding slightly annoyed as he takes a bite out of..a stick of deodorant? This guy gets weirder every day, but he's family, right?

"Worst case, use their weakest link against them; Popstar," Janus recommends.

I nod, uneasy at the suggestion "I'm sure it won't come to that."

Remus ruffles my hair condescendingly, "Sometimes I forget how hopefully naive you are."

"Gee, thanks," I say sarcastically, fixing my hair as he leaves.

Janus also stands, probably to go to his own room, "We'll leave at ten," He says, brushing past as he stalks off.

- - -

Night comes, and we all pull on our own costumes. Remus and Janus immediately teleport out, presumably to Element Industries, leaving me to run over to Gladeco, (literally). It's only halfway across the city, I'm not bitter. At least I'll be able to run along the rooftops since my antigrav boots finally passed bug testing. Worst case, I fall, have a heart attack, but I avoid becoming an emo pancake. Casually, I walk up the side of the warehouse, deciding not to try to walk up a wall in the middle of the city. After a long run, that only served to remind me of how little I exercise, I see the bright blue Gladeco sign alight. Left side, second to last window on the fourth floor...right?

I land in the alley next to the building, not trusting myself to jump from a roof to a wall. At least most of the office lights are off, so no one will see some rando walking up a wall. The window to Dr. Picani's office is unlocked, and I slip inside. The inside is dark, except for a single desk lamp that is still on. At least the guy's probably left work for the day, probably. I can only hope that he left his keycard laying around, like Janus expected. I see the card and grab it off his desk, seeing the picture of a young man with round glasses. Now to find the storage room in the basement.

The rest of the building has security cameras, so my best bet would have to be leaving through the window, and reentering on the first floor. I walk back down to the ground, looking through each window to find the staircase before entering. Keeping my head low, I crawl back into the building, hiding my face from the camera. Once downstairs, I use the keycard to open the door. The storage room is divided into several sections, the avandium one being the first one on the left. After filling my satchel with the metal, I quickly leave the basement, exiting through the first window I find. Being the incredibly paranoid person I am, as soon as I'm outside I run a block away by rooftop. Once outside, I check my phone for any sign that Janus and Remus are done with their distraction. It starts ringing suddenly, and I jump, almost dropping it onto the roof. God damnit Remus. I answer the phone, laying low on the rooftop in case any insomniacs decide to look up.

"The dumba$$ heroes showed up, but we made it out, blah blah blah, Jay wanted me to call you because he's 'had enough of my sh!t' so, how's it going on your end?" He says through the phone.

"It went fine," I respond, trying to slow my breathing.

"That's what she said," He quotes, and I can practically see him wiggling his eyebrows.

I try not to audibly groan, "You know what I mean, I got the avandium. No alarms."

"Yeah, yeah great. You fine walking home or do I need to come and get your butt?" He asks. Damn, he must be proud if he said butt instead of a$$.

"I'll walk," Remus isn't very good at being told where to teleport, and I don't want to ruin his good mood. The walk, or rather run, home took even longer with the extra weight of the avandium. Once I eventually made it back, Janus was still sitting at his workbench. I set down the satchel of avandium on his desk, getting no reaction aside from him slowly looking over at me. "It's the avandium you asked for."

He rubs his eyes tiredly, "Right, good job, Anx. I'll probably thank you again once I don't feel like I'm about to pass out from exhaustion," He says, resting his head heavily on his hand.

"You could try going to sleep yourself instead of just passing out here later?" I suggest.

"I know," He groans as he stands up, going to his room.

"Should probably take my own advice, huh?" I say to the now-empty room. 

A/N:  Me thinking I was gonna only post the first three parts: But the prologue isn't nearly as long as an actual chapter-