Chapter 23

Virgil's POV

Day 20

At some point the next day, I'm woken up to find that I fell asleep in a ball on the floor. Another knock sounds, "Virgil? If you have yet to leave your room due to the possibility of Roman, I assure you, he has already left for the day," Logan says from the other side. Right, yelling, traitorous accusations, panic attack.

 Instead of responding, I get up to change clothes to at least attempt to look like a functioning human being. Once I'm sure that Logan has left the hallway, I leave my room, making a bee-line for the bathroom. My eyes are slightly puffy from the tears I'm sure were streaming down my face during my panic attack. 

I could be hopeful and think that Logan won't notice the general splotchiness of my face, but he's one British accent away from being Sherlock freakin' Holmes. He's clearly pretty dense when it comes to emotions, like how has he not noticed Patton's crush on him? But he still has working eyes, so I'm probably just gonna hide in my room for most of the day. Not a bad plan seeing as the living fire hazard could come home at any second.

I go back to my room, staring at the recently-burnt hoodie, and decide to examine the damage. A large hole was made by the fire, and I subconsciously rub my arm where his hand was. It hurt, I didn't actually get burnt at all, but it hurt, in more ways than one. I really liked- well no that's a lie, I really like Roman and he thought I betrayed them. He thought I'd turn against them, that I've just been lying this whole time!? I'm not a traitor, I'm not a liar, I'm not- Breathe, okay? Just breathe, I don't need a panic attack two days in a row.

"Virgil are you adequate? I have not seen you leave your room all day," Logan says, "I do not wish to invade your privacy, but if you do not answer, I would have to assume the worst and check on you with or without your permission."

"Well, do you think I'm a traitor?" I ask him. If he agrees with Roman, then there's no point in me talking to him.

He opens my door. Didn't realize I invited him in but whatever, "At first seeing those blueprints was quite incriminating, but I do not jump to conclusions like Roman tends to. Especially considering your reaction to being accused of collaborating with Deceit and the Duke, I'd be inclined to at least give you the 'benefit of the doubt' and hear your reasoning for having the contingency plans," He explains, standing in the doorway.

"Like I said, I went out for a walk, without Roman knowing, and Deceit and Duke found me during it. Deceit tried to use his powers to make me translate them so I fought back and ran away," I tell him, fiddling with the undamaged parts of my hoodie's sleeve.

"Well, you have given me no reason to doubt you, and you probably would have fled if attacking us was your plan, so," He pauses, looking for the right word, "I trust you on this."

I smile slightly, "Thanks, Logan."

Roman's POV

Let's see, Patton's shift ends in half an hour, so I should hopefully have enough time to convince him to help me. He did seem pretty mad last night, and refused to talk to me this morning. Maybe this plan is a little more hopeless than I first thought...

"Oh, hey Roman, are you here to see Patton?"

"Hey Daniel, and yeah just don't tell him it's me," I request. He nods hesitantly and goes to the backroom, coming back with Patton soon after.

"What are you doing here?" He asks when he sees me, frowning slightly in an attempt to look mad.

I sigh, "Patton, please let me explain," He turns away, ignoring me, "Can we talk?" He continues to ignore me, so I hop over the counter and drag him into the back room, "I get it,Pat, I messed up. I jumped to conclusions and hurt Virgil because of it, so are you gonna help me fix it or not?"

"You never even considered that Virgil was innocent, that's why I'm angry! You just assumed the worst, you just assumed that he was like your brother!" Patton said angrily, struggling to keep his voice down, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have gone there. I'm just upset. What's your plan to fix this?"

"I don't know, I figured you would know how I could make it up to him," I admit.

"Oh. Well, I'm sure we can come up with something together," He says, thankfully back to his usual cheery nature, "Hmm, you burnt his jacket pretty bad, you could buy him a new one?" He suggests hopefully.

"I don't think that's a great idea, no offense, but that jacket means a lot to him. Why else would he wear it so much?" I point out, trying to come up with my own idea. Patton smiles knowingly, "What?"

"You really do care about him, don't you?" He says, causing me to blush.

"Psh, heh, what gives you that idea?" I ask, my voice cracking an embarrassing amount of times.

He giggles, "You were so worried that he may have betrayed us because you didn't want another person you cared about to be bad. You thought he might be like Remus so you tried to protect us and your feelings by refusing to let him explain," He smiles sadly at me.

Huh, that actually sounds pretty accurate and therapist-like, "And now I've royally screwed up with him," I summarize.

"I didn't mean it like that!" Patton says quickly, "Sure you've got some apologizing to do, but once you explain your reasoning, he won't be able to really blame you unless he's the biggest hypocrite ever."

"Thanks Pat, that really helped."

"No proble-" He starts.

"I got it!" I exclaim, knowing, or at least having an idea on how to fix this, literally, "I can just fix up his hoodie, like with some fabric and a sewing machine."

"That could work, just ask him for permission first. If that hoodie really means a lot to him, you wouldn't want to make it worse," He points out.

"Right, thanks Pat!" I call, already making my way to the exit. It's not like I could make things worse, right?