Chapter 36

Virgil's POV

"AHHHHHHH" A very girly scream is heard from the main room, and I look at Patton. We both put on the anti-mind control glasses and rush out, finding Logan and Roman fighting Deceit and Duke. If I had to guess, Roman was the one that screamed. Roman throws Duke through the wall and jumps out after him while Logan is throwing assorted groceries at Deceit with his telekinesis. They must have been out shopping, how inconvenient for them.

"If they're taking this outside I'm gonna go clear out the area," Patton tells me, flying out.

Welp, not much to do except, "DIE IN A HOLE D!CKHEAD!!" I screech, jumping down and kicking Deceit in the stomach, "Go help Roman, I got him," I tell Logan. He stares at me for a second before nodding and running outside.

"What a great idea Anx, facing me alone," Deceit comments, slow clapping. Freaking slow clapping?! What Disney villain is he trying, and failing, to impersonate?

"Oh shut up," I say, wasting no time in sending a small earthquake his way.

Of course I always run the risk of causing an actual earthquake, but I'd rather not focus on that at the moment. He falls and throws a carrot at me, and even though it probably wouldn't do anything, I still duck under it. By the time I 'straighten' up, Deceit is grabbing one of several work in progress weapons on his deck. At least I recognize the purpose of this one, whether that be for better or for worse. This weapon in particular is basically Iron Man's repulsor beams in a gun, fun for the whole family.

He fires it at me, and I decide that a distraction might be helpful so I duck outside to the rest of the battlefield. There are some onlookers that must not care about their own lives since they're recording the fight while Patton tries to get them to leave the area. Logan creates a barrier in front of the most likely depressed kids, allowing Patton to fly over and tackle Duke, who reflexively tries to teleport. Of course, the added weight messes him up and the two end up appearing and disappearing randomly. I would have stopped to laugh, but the newfound back pain kinda ruins the moment. Right, Deceit has a gun.

"Like I said, you were stupid to think you could fight me alone. You've always been weak," He growls, walking towards me smugly.

"Coming from the guy that's scared of raccoons," I grumble. I lift up my feet, slamming them down to hopefully knock Deceit over while I get up. I push myself up, determined to prove him wrong because I'm not weak, I know that now.

Roman runs over, "Are you okay??"

"I'm fine, go kick the crap out of your brother, I've got this," I tell him. It's nice that he's worried about me, but this is something I need to do, even if I fail horribly.

He nods reluctantly and goes back to the Duke, seeing that he finally shook Patton off. Deceit stands back up, and damn does he look angry. He raises the blaster again and starts firing, so if I plan to make it through this alive, I'm gonna have to take that. I duck behind Logan's shield for cover, then run past Roman, Patton, and Duke, praying that Deceit won't risk shooting him.

I dart back inside the warehouse, rushing up the stairs. From there, I climb through the window to the roof, hoping that he's angry enough to follow. Probably not my best plan ever since there's nowhere for me to hide, but if I can knock him off the roof, that could be good. Unless of course the fall kills him and I go to jail for murder. The gun is tossed up onto the roof and before I can decide to grab it, Deceit pulls himself up next to it. So instead I send a small shockwave towards the gun to even the odds a bit. He charges towards me, probably realizing that staying ten feet away gives me the advantage. He picks me up by the collar, looking ready to yeet me into the afterlife. Since I don't exactly want that, despite the safety net I have that is my boots, I punch him in the face. He curses, but drops me so I count it as a win, even if I ungracefully fall onto my a$$. I quickly hold him down and pull out the power-restraining cuffs Logan gave me. Even though they won't really affect him, they'll still make getting off the roof much harder.

"Your biggest mistake was thinking I'm weak, because I'm stronger than you'll ever be Janus," I tell him, feeling more confident than ever.

I bring him down to the ground, watching Logan finish securing Remus. The police arrive a couple minutes later, the media not far behind. They find Deceit and Duke handcuffed in front of their home base while the four of us are sitting on the roof of the warehouse.

The camera turns towards us and Roman stands up, pulling me with him, "People of New Vixen, I am proud to announce that Deceit and the Duke have been defeated!! I'd also like to thank the former villain Anxiety for his help in the matter, and if I hear anyone accuse him of being evil, we're gonna have some problems," Roman says and dips me grandly, pulling me into a kiss.

Patton squeals beside us and can imagine the shock on everyone else's faces. Granted, I'm a little distracted by Roman at the moment to look at the cops and camera crew. Logan talks to the cops for a bit before we leave, my face still red. We stop in an alley to change back into normal clothes, so we can enter the apartment building safely. Once inside, I go over to the couch and turn on the news, fearing the worst. Sure enough, the news is currently covering the arrest of Janus and Remus, and whether or not I should be arrested as well. Then, footage of Roman's and my kiss starts playing...

"God freaking dammit," I grumble, seeing Roman smile proudly.

"You know you love me," He says, draping an arm over my shoulder. Logan and Patton sit down next to us, the latter clinging to the former. 

I sigh, defeated, "Yeah, I do." 

A/N: Holy crap there's only the epilogue left for me to write. On one hand I'm excited to finish another book, but I don't want this one to end!!! I don't want to drag out this story when it's over, the threat's gone and stuff. When it comes out, please read the epilogue, I'll be making a mini announcement at the end of it.