Chapter 18

Virgil's POV

Day 12

"Roommate meeting!!" Patton yells from the living room. Also, what the heck is a roommate meeting?

I leave the darkened pit that I'm staying in to go to the obnoxiously bright main room. Unsurprisingly, Patton and Roman were already there and Logan came out soon after me, "So, what's the point of this meeting, Padre?" Roman asks.

"I was thinking, since we're all home for once that we could have a game day, starting with twenty questions!" Patton declares, not leaving much room to argue. We all sit down, Logan in the armchair, Roman and Patton on the couch, and me on the floor by the coffee table, "We'll each ask the same person one question, then it'll be someone else's turn to be asked. Not exactly how most people play the game, but oh well," I don't think that's how anyone plays twenty questions, but who can say no to Patton?

"Okay, Patton, why did you make a coffee shop?" Roman asks, starting the game.

"Patton has already told us his reasoning for founding the shop," Logan points out, confused.

He sighs, "Well Virgil doesn't know the reason," Fair enough.

"I created Deja Brew because I didn't want to be stuck in some office job, and I wanted to brighten people's days in some way. And making coffee to sell couldn't be too hard could it?" He asks rhetorically.

Logan gestures for me to go next, "You said you had a brother, right? What's his name?" I'm gonna feel real stupid if I'm wrong and he's an only child.

"His name's Chris, and he's two years older than me," Patton replies.

"Patton, why do you insist on calling most people your children, even if they are older than you?" Logan questions.

"I dunno, I just do because I act like a dad towards most people," He explains sheepishly, "Logan! What all inventions are you working on right now?" He asks, successfully turning the spotlight onto the nerd.

"Currently I am in the process of making the power-restricting cuffs, an updated communications system, and have been developing possible contingency plans against Deceit and Duke specifically," He says, for once looking slightly alive.

"I thought you gave up on making contingency plans for them?" Roman asks, confused. Who knew Logan was capable of giving up?

Logan adjusts his glasses, "I'd guess that's your one question? If so, I was given some ideas as to more specific counters to their powers by Virgil."

Roman and Patton both look at me, surprised, "Yeah anyway, why do you talk so...strangely."

"If you are referring to my use of extensive vocabulary, I simply speak that way since I see no point in 'dumbing it down' for others who would prefer not to hear what I have to say anyway," D-did he just pull a notecard out with the phrase on it?

"Virgil!" Roman exclaims, clearly bored with Logan's long answer, "Why do you always have that hoodie with you?" He gestures to the plain black hoodie wrapped around my waist.

"It's kind of a comfort object I guess? Plus it's really comfy," I reply. It may not be the entire reason for wearing it, but these guys are still practically strangers.

Patton bounces in his seat, "Okay, okay where did you learn to draw? Because you're really good at it," He asks excitedly, having seen the contents of my sketchbook.

I shrug, "I taught myself? When you're a procrastinator you tend to stick to doing the things you're good at."

"Virgil, how exactly did you meet Deceit and the Duke?" Logan questions.

Welp, can't exactly refuse to answer without sounding suspicious, "I was having a panic attack, and kinda lost control of my powers," I see Logan visibly struggle to not correct my grammar, "They found me, and offered me a place to stay."

"Alright," He says, seemingly making a mental note of my short explanation, "Roman, why do you continue to re-watch Disney movies practically every night when you have already seen them all multiple times?"

"Because they're absolute masterpieces and if you disagree then I don't know why we're even friends!" He exclaims, sounding like an insecure child. And honestly, he probably is one. 

Patton stays quiet, letting me ask the next question, "Why do you all insist on calling Deceit and Duke by their supervillain names instead of their actual names?" He freezes instantly.

"Kiddo you don't have to-" Patton tries to assure him.

"It's fine Pat. It's because Remus is my brother," Roman says, smiling sadly. Oh sh!t I ducked up, "For a while I wasn't sure if he was the Duke, but then you revealed their real names back on the roof and, yeah..." He trails off, avoiding eye contact.

"I think that's enough getting to know each other for tonight," Patton declares, trying to keep the situation from going too far south. Little does he know, we've already crashed head-first into the floor of regret. 

"Right," Roman says, getting up and going to his room.

Why do I feel so...bad? I mean I basically confirmed that his brother was one of the supervillains he's been fighting all these years, but he would have found out anyway. Patton shoots me a sympathetic smile before going to the kitchen. Logan had already left the room as soon as Patton said we were allowed to go. 

Everyone keeps to themselves for the rest of the day, even Patton. I'd guess Logan is working on one of his inventions, like always, and even when Roman comes out he's quiet and he's never out for long. Eventually, it becomes midnight and I can't fall asleep even with the help of several anxiety-reducing playlists.

"Ugh, dammit," I grumble as I get up and leave the room. I find myself in front of Roman's door. On one hand, he could be asleep and promptly hate me for waking him up, on the other hand he may be awake too. Before I back down, I knock on his door.

It opens, revealing Roman standing there in pjs, "Hey Virge, what are you doing here?" He asks tiredly, at least he wasn't asleep.

"I just wanted to apologize for earlier," I say, messing with my sleeves. I probably should have thought about what I was gonna say before I came over here.

"It's fine, you had no way of knowing about me and Remus," He assures me, lifting his arms up, offering a hug, "Oh right, you're not really one for contact-" He starts lowering his arms slightly. I quickly wrap my arms around him tightly, not wanting the offer to expire. That's weird. After a second of hesitation, he hugs back, relieving my worries. He's really warm, and really freaking tall.

"Night," I mumble into his chest before letting go, knowing that the hug had probably lasted too long.

"Goodnight, Virge." 

A/N: This ending is so fluffy and I love it