Chapter 26

Roman's POV

Day 27

Ever since the whole hoodie incident, I've realized just how insensitive I can be. Pretty much every memory I have of Virgil played through my head last night, and it only made it obvious how hard it'd be to get him to like me. Like the day of the interrogation, I may not have wanted to admit he was right, but I knew little about the people of New Vixen, especially the poor.

"Virgil Virgil Virgil!" I say, knocking excitedly on his door.

"What what what?" He says, opening the door.

"I wanted to go on a fun day or whatever around New Vixen, since I feel like I've barely seen the city."

He squints slightly as he tries to figure out what I mean while still half asleep, "So...you want me to walk around or somethin with you?"

"Yeah, I figured we could just go to different places like the zoo or a park," I explained, "Or the homeless shelter since you were right back in the interrogation room, I've never been."

"Is this just so you can learn more about the woman I said gave me my jacket?" He questions. At least he didn't figure out that I just wanted an excuse to get closer to him.

Well, that would have been a great plan had I thought of it, "If that was my plan, would it have worked?"

"I don't have a problem visiting her if you're that curious," Heck yes I'm curious, and I'll hopefully need her blessing in the near future, "When are you wanting to leave?" He asks.

"In all honesty I haven't got that far, how about an hour?" I suggest hopefully.

"Sure," With that, he closes his door to get ready.

I go to my own room, excited for the outing and if he asks why I didn't invite Patton and Logan, I can say that they went out on a date. I'm pretty sure that Virgil doesn't know about them yet, and they already left so my excuse works. After an hour, most of which I spent getting ready to leave, I knocked on Virgil's door.

Soon after, he opens up, "Probably should have said this earlier, but we're gonna have to walk since Logan and Patton took the car," I warn him.

"Alright, where are we going first?" He asks, hands in his jean pockets since his jacket is around his waist.

I'm guessing starting off with meeting his mom or guardian or whatever wouldn't be smart, so I don't suggest that, "How about the zoo? Wherever that is..."

He smiles slightly and walks off, and I quickly go after him, assuming he knows where to go. We walk for a bit in the crowded city, crossing through several unfamiliar streets on the quieter side of town. After a few minutes of this, the zoo comes into sight with it's brightly painted sign that would look out of place anywhere but a laser tag arena. We go through the admission gates, with me paying like the gentleman I am. Virgil protests slightly, but he doesn't have a paying job to back up his argument as to why he can pay for himself. Besides, what kind of prince would I be if I invited Virgil out here and made him pay? The kind that doesn't end up with the beautiful prince, princess, or non-binary royalty, that's who. So naturally I try to make this trip as enchanting as possible, which is hard to do when half of the interesting animals are asleep. And this is why I haven't gone to a zoo since I was seven, that and my parents became very paranoid that I would sneak/fall into one of the enclosures. We end up going through the entire arachnid building, and holy hell how does Virgil like those disgusting eight-legged creatures?

After that, I can tell we're both ready to go anywhere else. Like with the zoo, Virgil is the one leading me along, apparently already having a destination in mind. He stops in front of a small two-story building that's smushed between a hotel and an apartment building. He silently walks into the building, and I have no choice but to follow.

"Hey Virgil, are you here to see Dawn?" A girl asks.

"Yeah, is she in her room?" He asks her.

"Should be," The girl answers before leaving.

"So...I assume this is where-"

He nods, "This is where my legal guardian lives."

But isn't this an elderly home? We walk through the basic halls and he stops in front of a door, knocking. A quiet but welcoming voice tells us to come in, and he opens the door to show an ol- elderly woman laying down in a bed.

"Colton! What a nice surprise, who's your little friend?" Little? And is Virgil supposed to be Colton?

Virgil mouths a 'just go with it' at me, "Hey Dawn, this is Roman," He tells her, sitting down in a floral print chair.

I awkwardly stand next to him since there's only one chair, "Nice to meet you miss."

She smiles, "Your friend is so nice, nicer than those other two what were their names?"

"Janus and Remus," He reminds her, looking at me afterward since he mentioned my brother.

"It's fine," I tell him quietly, not wanting him to be anxious because of me.

"Well Roman, this is Dawn, my grandmother," I'm sorry, his what? "I'll explain later," He promises me quietly.

"Are you two dating? You hardly ever bring someone with you," She says, looking very smug for a grandma.

I see Virgil blush slightly, maybe I do have a chance with him after all, "No, we aren't," Virgil tells her, "I'm gonna go get some water," He says, leaving.

"Hmm, seems like you two should be dating," She states.

"What makes you say that?" I ask, fighting my own blush. Sure, I want to date him, but if she can tell then how obvious am I?

"Just a suspicion, don't mind me," She assures me, yawning, "Take good care of him."

I watch as she slowly falls asleep, not wanting to leave if something goes wrong. Virgil soon comes back and sees her asleep, gesturing for me to follow him into the hall, "She's nice, but an explanation would help clear some things up."

"She has Alzheimer's so far all I know she doesn't remember Virgil Shaw, and calls me Colton," He explains.

"And Colton is her grandson? Who does she think the real Colton is when he visits?" I ask.

"As far as I know, she doesn't actually have a grandson named Colton, or at least I haven't met him," He admits, looking worriedly at her door, "What'd you guys talk about while I was gone?"

I laugh slightly when I remember the conversation, "Oh nothing."