Chapter 24

Roman's POV

First thing's first, is getting the hoodie since I don't want to buy fabric for nothing. That, and, I want to try and find the same fabric so he'll hopefully forget that I burnt it in the first place, eventually. I drive back over to the apartment, hoping to whatever gods I can name that he'll talk to me, or at least let me talk to him. Once inside, I see Logan and Virgil on the couch.

Be cool, be cool, "Hey Virgil, can we talk?" Oh great, awkward and not at all me, great approach.

He pauses, clearly considering just retreating to his room. He even looks to Logan for help, Logan! If he and Patton weren't meant to be together, then I'd be dying of jealousy. For now I'm just dying of heart-crushing, relationship-ruining guilt.

"I would suggest you let him talk, despite his anger issues," My what? "Roman is a good person," I think that's the nicest thing he's ever said about me.

"There's not much I want to say right now, but will you allow me to take your hoodie to fix my mistake," Logan and Virgil look at me slightly confused, "Literally," Logan nods and turns back to his book.

"What do you mean?" He asks cautiously.

"I want to take your hoodie so I can fix it up since I kinda burnt it," I explain awkwardly. He looks unsure, but his hoodie floats out to us in the living room, landing in Virgil's lap. I really owe Logan a thank you after this, "Even after...everything, do you trust me enough to fix my mistake?"

"I got this from the woman who basically raised me, don't make it worse," He says slowly, holding out the hoodie. Who? You know what, I'll ask about it later when we're on better terms.

Don't yell in triumph, don't yell in triumph, he's gonna think you're a weirdo which you are but he doesn't have to know that yet! "Thank you, Virgil."

I take the hoodie and grab my keys, deciding to worry about not knowing the location of a fabric store later. Phones do exist for a reason so worst case, I sit out in my car for ten minutes trying to locate and get directions to the nearest place. 

There's one only ten minutes away so hopefully I can get right to fixing it, especially since I'll probably have to hand sew it. At some point I'll have to thank my abuela for forcing me to learn how to sew in the first place. I look all over the store for a matching fabric, but am unsuccessful. I even went around a second time and asked a really nice worker if they had a similar fabric. Spoiler alert; they didn't. Maybe I should have looked first before getting the hoodie- wait. Some purple plaid fabric catches my eye. It may not be the same color or pattern, but it would look good with the jacket, especially if I can make it look like it's meant to be part of the hoodie. 

Roman, you freaking genius.

- - -

I proudly walk back into Deja Brew with the jacket, fabric, needle, and thread. Despite being the fashion expert of the group, I'm really nervous about this, and who better to reassure me than Patton? Plus I don't feel like working in my room, I already spend my workdays there, and there's no way am I ruining the surprise. 

Well, he already knows I'm fixing it, and knowing his opinion on the fabric would be great before I start it... Welp, I'm already here and if he hates it then I can just redo it, which would just show how dedicated I am to fixing this! I'm actually starting to think this'll work, not that I doubted my amazing idea but I don't know Virgil overly well or how he'd react. 

"Hey Roman, how'd it go?" Patton asks from the counter.

"I wanted your advice before I started since I couldn't find the exact fabric," I explain.

He makes grabby hands, "Gimme," I show him the fabric.

"I figured I could use this to make a couple patches, make it look more natural than just covering up the burn," I explain.

"That sounds great!" He exclaims happily, ushering me into the back to work, "Oh, and do you want anything to drink?"

"No thanks Pat, I'm good," I assure him, grabbing everything out of the bag.

He nods and goes back to the front, leaving me to work in peace. I may be doing this for Virgil but damn, I forgot how boring sewing can be. Music isn't really an option without possibly annoying Patton's customers, and I don't need him mad at me again. So, like any normal person I recite the entire first act of Hamilton in my head like a play. Logan may be the smart one, but no one can deny my talent of memorizing musical scripts. By the time I get to the Ten Duel Commandments, I've finished repairing the jacket. I pop up from the break room couch and head out to the front of the restaurant.

"Finished already?" Patton asks as I pass by.

"Yep, hopefully he'll like it," I say.

"Wait wait wait, I wanna see his reaction!" Patton exclaims, tossing his hat and struggling to pull off his apron, not bothering to untie it.

He rushes out from behind the counter and we head to my car. I drive us both back, anxious for once in my life. Well no, I'm anxious during auditions and occasionally when roles are announced. We get into the apartment, Patton basically bouncing in excitement.

Logan, without looking up, speaks, "If you are looking for Virgil, he is in his room."

Patton happily pushes me towards his room, standing right behind me as I knock, "Yeah?"

"Virgil? I finished fixing your jacket," I announce. He opens the door reluctantly, waiting for me to do something. I pull the jacket out of the bag, holding it out to him. He takes it and examines it for several agonzing seconds as I fight against the urge to hide in my closet, "Well? What do you think?" I ask, sounding cautious and hopeful.

He puts it on, which is a good sign, right? "It's...really cool, I'm surprised you didn't make it overly bright and musical related," He smiles slightly, but I can still see his fear.

"I figured you wouldn't like it to be too bright and have people know that you like musicals," I say, relieved.

"I'm so happy you two made up!" Patton squeals, hugging us both before running off.

I smile at his peppiness and turn to go to my room, pausing for a second, "I'm glad you like it, and I hope you can forgive me. I just didn't want you to be a second Remus."

"Then why'd you immediately assume the worst and attack me?" Oh shoot he's really mad.

"Because I couldn't risk Logan or Patton getting hurt," I tell him, suddenly very interested in the ground, "Remus basically up and left my life when he went off to college. Finding out after all this time that he was the Duke really hurt, and I didn't want to give you the chance to hurt us in the same way. Though it wouldn't have been worth much had you actually been a traitor, I just lost control, I'm sorry."

"I can't blame you, but I can't lie and say it's perfectly fine when it's not," And what's that? The sound of my dreams being crushed, "Thanks though, this means a lot," He says, gesturing to the jacket.

Overjoyed, I wrap him in a tight hug. Knowing I've probably overstepped my boundaries, I quickly let him go, laughing awkwardly as I go to my room. I slump down against the door wearing a stupid, lovesick smile. Oh my Disney I'm so gay.