Chapter 19

Virgil's POV

Day 13

"Virgil, wanna help babysit!!" I hear Patton yell, or more accurately screech, sounding way too excited. Soon after, he bursts into my room looking ready to explode from happiness.

What am I supposed to say, 'Yeah, because I want to deal with some random demon- I mean child,' "Do I have a choice?" I say instead.

"Well, Logan is going out to the bookstore and Roman's at play rehearsal, plus the kid's coming here, so not really," He replies, sounding way too happy for a person that just doomed me to spending part of my day stuck watching some small stranger.

"So who even is the kid, and on a scale of one to ten how annoying are they?" If I'm getting stuck helping with some random kid I might as well try to find out if it's safer to stay in my room for the entire day.

"Well, he lives a couple floors down, and he's really sweet so you don't have to worry," He assures me, "His name is Dillan and I think he's seven," Seven year olds can be pretty independent, but they also ask a lot of questions, and too many questions give me anxiety.

Someone knocks on the door before I can decide whether to avoid this kid or not, "Patton!" A high-pitched voice calls from the other side. Oh sh!t it's already too late for me.

"Coming!" He responds, going over to the door, apparently not noticing my distress. He opens the door revealing a little kid with a woman that I'm guessing is his mom.

Said kid immediately hugs Patton, "Thank you so much for watching him on such short notice Patton, you're a lifesaver," The woman says gratefully. She looks to be in desperate need for a coffee.

"It's no problem Donna," Patton assures her, while hugging the kid back despite the height difference.

The woman, Donna, smiles and crouches down to Dillan's height, "You're gonna stay here with Patton for a little bit okay?" Dillan nods, and she leaves.

"What chu wanna do, little man?" Patton asks in a fake serious tone, leaning down to his height. I'm just surprised he didn't call him kiddo, apparently he only calls his friends, and most adults, that.

"I want to paint," Dillan declares, matching Patton's straight face. Or gay face I guess?

"Alright, you sit down at the kitchen table, and I'll go find some paint," He replies, going to leave the room.

Throughout the conversation, I stand awkwardly by the couch, "Who are you?" Dillan asks me.

"I'm one of Patton's friends," I tell him, not knowing what else to say.

"I've never seen you before," He states bluntly, looking at me with what I can only describe as suspicious disappointment.

"I'm one of his newer friends, I just moved in," I add, being way too intimidated by this kid.

He stares blankly at me for a second, "Okay!" He exclaims, brightening again almost instantly.

"Alright, I found the paint, make sure to have two pieces of paper so it doesn't bleed through," Patton reminds him as he walks in. Dillan quickly grabs some blue and yellow paint, taking a messy brush as well, "Virgil you should join us," Patton suggests. So much for hiding out in my room for the next two hours.

"Yeah!" Dillan agrees excitedly.

"What a great idea," I say, trying to sound genuinely happy with the suggestion.

We paint in almost complete silence for half an hour. When I eventually look up from my basic painting of a beach, I see Dillan making some sort of dragon-like creature, while Patton is painting a dog, to no one's surprise.

"Done!" Dillan declares proudly, holding his painting up.

Patton gives him a knowing smirk, "Is that the dreadful dragon-witch?" He asks, getting a nod from Dillan.

"I'm sorry, the what?" I ask, confused.

"The dragon-witch is a monster Roman told Dillan about, and that," He points to the painting, "Is what she looks like."

Right... Anyway, Dillan decides to play with a Rubix Cube that I'm pretty sure Patton stole from Logan's room while we take a seat on the couch. After a minute of awkwardly watching him, I decide to go against all my instincts as an introvert and start a conversation, "So...you and Logan, huh?" That is single-handedly the worst way for me to start it, which is exactly why I never start a conversation.

He turns red, "What?" His voice cracks, making his crush that much more obvious.

"You clearly have a crush on him, so why not ask him out?" Patton has ten times more confidence than me, so he should have no reason, especially when Logan feels the same.

"Are you kidding? Logan is the smartest and least emotional person I know, why would he like me back?" Patton asks, looking seriously concerned for my mental health.

I stare at him, just as confused. He's basically an empath, and yet he can't tell that Logan at the very least likes him more than literally every other human on Earth. I try and fail to speak several times, and end up continuing to stare at him.

"I'm just gonna give you some advice; don't wait on it. You're a great guy and if Logan doesn't see that then you shouldn't waste all your time just loving him from the sidelines," I tell him.

Patton frowns in thought for a second, "Thanks, Virgil," He says, smiling slightly. Not the normal peppy smile, but a more muted, genuine one.

I smile back, "No problem, Pat," Dillan shouting suddenly draws our attention to him. He's proudly holding up a finished Rubix Cube, how did he finish it that fast?

"Wow, Dillan, you're getting really good at that, want me to mix it up again?" Patton asks him. He nods, passing the cube to him to let Patton re-scramble it for him to solve. After sufficiently scrambling the Rubix Cube again, he passes it back to Dillan, "Like I said, thanks, but I'm not sure I'll be able to tell him, at least not yet," Patton says honestly, covering up his sad look with embarrassment.

"I'm sure it'll all work out," I tell him, for once sounding confident.

A/N: Bet ya weren't expecting Virgil to give dating advice, but here we are. Hope y'all are prepared for the next chapter, pls don't hate me. Also, we reached 300 reads!