Chapter 33

Virgil's POV

At some point, it became dark enough in whatever corner of my own mind that I had been restricted to that I could no longer see or hear anything. The only way I got any sort of update on the outside world was when Deceit would give my body telepathic orders. Of course, he usually didn't because I could almost never make out what anyone was saying out loud anymore. I've become an unwilling passenger in my own body to whatever flight Deceit and Duke have planned for us. And if things go south, then I'm still gonna have to go to jail because why would Deceit ever take control of one of his own teammates? Yep, completely unrealistic.

"Anxiety, we're starting the plan early, you already know what to do," Actually no I don't, but I'm gonna do it anyway because yay mind control.

And why would he start his plan early? Deceit is a total control freak so when he says the plan is starting at three, it's starting at three. That is unless some kind of complication comes up. And having New Vixen's three greatest heroes show up unannounced would complicate things. There was a time when the possibility of those three showing up would be terrifying, I'm glad that it's no longer that time because excuse the Shrek reference but I need a hero (or three). Eventually, I feel Deceit's hold flicker slightly, and hopefully that means Patton, Logan, or Roman just surprise attacked his a$$. Either way, I'm actually allowed to see again, mostly. With my regained sense I can tell that I'm on a rooftop in an outfit similar enough to my old costume since that's back at the apartment. But my hijacked body's attention is drawn to movement to my side.

Roman's POV

We head out to the city hall in our costumes, looking out for signs of danger. Before we even get there Logan spots Deceit on a nearby roof, and Patton immediately chucks one of his shoes at him, causing the snake to curse.

"What the sh!t," He turns around, spotting us.

"You two handle him, I'm gonna find Virgil," I tell them, taking off. I go over to city hall, seeing someone on the roof. Even though he's probably not going to be...himself, I have to do something to save him. I reach the roof and he turns towards me, his eyes glowing yellow, "Virgil? Can you hear me?" I've never really taken the time to understand how Deceit's mind control works, or how much it actually keeps them from doing. If they actually are aware of what's going on, it seems like it would be pretty easy to take back control, but maybe it's not so simple. Virgil seems to stare off into space for a second, before focusing again, "Deceit if you can hear me, then let him go," I light my hand on fire for emphasis. When I get no response, I step closer, he freaks and sends a shockwave towards me, almost knocking me over. The office workers below obviously didn't appreciate the small quake but oh well that's probably not going to be the only problem they face today. Once I regain my footing, I approach him slowly, "Virgil I'm not going to fight you," I tell him, and step closer. His eyes darken slightly and he looks down as I walk forward with open arms. For a moment I hope to see his eyes turn back to normal, but they don't. I paused in front of him for a second, waiting for a reaction.

"R-Roman?" He mumbles, his eyes covered by his bangs.

"Yeah?" I ask hopefully, trying not to go full rom-com here and literally sweep him off his feet.

He starts mumbling and I take a hesitant step closer, and am able to make out the final thing he says, "I'm sorry," He looks up revealing his still-yellow eyes as I notice him pull something out of his pocket. Before I can figure out what it is or why he apologized I'm blinded by a bright light and stumble back. I curse and feel one foot miss solid ground and realize that I'm on the edge of the roof. Of course, that isn't my biggest concern since neither of my powers are very useful when I can't see!

With a light push from Virgil, I'm falling.

Virgil's POV

Sh!t, sh!t, sh!t. What the hell did I just do?! I can hear Deceit yelling inside my mind, but I'm a little distracted. For the first time since Deceit took control of me, my body actually listens to me and follows Roman. In hindsight, not the best idea but oh well. I grab onto him as soon as he's in reach and turn on my antigrav boots. Thankfully, they pull us both towards the wall of the building, and I notice just how close to the ground we are. After a couple seconds of just staring at each other, if Roman can actually see anything that is, we suddenly fall to the ground. My boots can't handle that much weight, right.

"Ow," I groaned, my face pressed against Roman's chest before I realized just how close we were and sat up.

He blinks a couple times before his eyes focus on me, "Virgil!!" He exclaims, pulling me back down and wrapping me in a hug.

I blush and hug back, but I'm quickly distracted by Deceit's voice in my head, trying to regain control. I try to push Roman away, "Shoot, I don't know how long I'll still be in control so if I do anything I'm sorry," I hand him the flashbang-type device that I used to blind him.

He grabs my arms before I can get up and stares seriously at me, "Then I guess that I can't waste this opportunity in case you're not you again," He says, "Can I tell you something? Or rather do something since actions speak louder than words?"

"Um, sure? What are you gonna-" I'm cut off by him gently pressing his lips to mine, quieting Deceit's voice. I quickly return the kiss, hoping to shut up Deceit for good and because when your crush kisses you, you don't pass that up. He lets go of my wrists in favor of pulling me closer and I wrap mine around his neck. After a few seconds of what might have been actual heaven, we pull away slightly, "Oh."

"Oh indeed, mi amor," He mumbles, smiling widely, "In case you didn't get the message, I like you, and would you like to be my boyfriend?"

"Yes, why else would I kiss you back or risk my own life to jump off a roof after you?"

"To be fair I could have sworn you pushed me-" He starts.

"And I'll never stop feeling guilty about that, even if I wasn't in control," I interrupt, leaning against him, "Wati Patton and Logan, Deceit and Duke have the contingency weapons for them," I say worriedly, sitting up.

"Don't worry," He tells me, talking into his com link leaving me confused as to what the other half of the conversation is.

He hands me his com, gesturing for me to put it on, "Virgil!!!" Patton yells.

"Hello Virgil, I assume you and Roman are by city hall?" Logan asks.

"Yeah," I tell them, still confused as to how they're okay. They're good heroes but the whole point of the contingency plans was for it to be almost impossible for them to fight against. Roman suggests that we get out of the street while waiting for Patton and Logan and wait in an alley. A couple minutes later they find us and Patton immediately tackle hugs me, "Happy to see you too, but how'd you guys beat them?"

"Simple; I put into use the weaknesses you revealed for Deceit and the Duke by giving Patton a taser to use against the Duke, and with me throwing a raccoon at Deceit," Logan explains calmly, "Unfortunately, they escaped."

"Oh well, we got Virgil back, there's plenty of time for us to arrest them," Roman says. The three of them take off their costumes to be less suspicious while I'm wearing a hoodie and jeans so good enough. Once they're back in normal clothes, Roman picks me up bridal style and starts walking to the apartment, and I can hear Patton squealing from behind us.